• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where can I buy a bridle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTdeerhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have aquired a Kentucky flintlock pistol (box of parts really :doh: ) From what I can tell its a Traditions kit gun...got it all back together and re-assembling the lock...but no bridle :cursing:

I emailed the folks at the company and they are willing to sell me a new lock for $105 (much more than I spent on the rest of the gun), all I need is the bridle....

If I have to replace the lock, I would go with a small siler lock kit from TOTW for $90

Why do these good deals end up costing you so much... :surrender:

Any help would be appreciated...

Check with Dixie Gun Works. They no longer advertise all the parts they have on hand. But a phone call or e-mail will get attention. Their service desk people are good at looking up things like that.

If you can't find one to fit, they're really pretty easy to make. It's just a matter of locating three holes to match your lock and ensuring that the tumbler clears the post as it turns. It doesn't even matter what the plate looks like. Fancy or plain it does the same job.

FWIW, Some Traditions and CVA locks are un-bridled; Like this one, it's fully assembled.

HPIM0501.jpg

If yours is indeed a Bridled lock Deer Creek should have the part.
No Web Site, ya gotta call'm
765-525-6181

I have some other locks that are un-bridled, but this lock is supposed to have one. Was trying to take the lazy way out and just buy the part, but making a new one is probably the easiest path...I'm in the process of moving most of my stuff into the new barn I am building, so the real pain is not in the making ...but in putting my hand on the tools I need at the moment :idunno:

Why is it that when you put the effort into getting organized....you end up being able to find nothing :doh:

Why is it that when you put the effort into getting organized....you end up being able to find nothing

That my friend, is one of the mysteries of life that happens to all of us from time to time! It makes me crazy. :youcrazy:

Bridles are very easy to forge.
You can make one with a hacksaw and drill and files. Take a piece of 3/8 by 1 in. bar and make a rip cut from the top edge to say about 3/4 in down the bar that is about 1/8 from an edge. This cut is in the 1 in plane, not the 3/8 plane. Make a cross cut at the end of the rip cut perpendicular to the rip cut from the side away from the rip cut. You want to make a 1/8 thick by 3/4 long by 1 in. wide blade. Move down from the first cross cut about 3/8 to a half inch and make a second cross cut thru the full 3/8 thick bar to remove the bridle from the bar stock. Before you do that, file the blade flat. You can also use the hack saw and files to clean up and make the profile fancy.You should end up with the flat 1/8 blade and a step that is 3/8 long(after the second rip cut) which would also be 3/8 thick. This step is the part that sits on the plate. The blade will have a 1/4 space between itself and the plate which will allow a 1/4 in.tumbler to fit under and is the piece thru which the tumbler stud will go. This supports the tumbler which also provides stability for the cock(hammer).

Locate the holes using a transfer punch. It would probably be wise to mark the tumbler hole (eyeball)first. After that, use the transfer punch on the one or two holes that are for holding the bridle to the plate, and the sear hole.
I hope this is not too confusing. You may have to alter dimensions depending on your lock.I have not tried this because forging is more fun.
If you dont have luck, I will send you a blank.

Latest posts

Back