• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats your favorite Tobacco?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After years of somking English or Balkan style blends, I've made the switch over to Virginia/Perique blends. Some of my favorites are: Escudo Navy Cut, an import from Denmark. It must be crumbled before smoking. It is aromatic without being fruity.

GL Pease Sixpence It has a sweet earthy aroma in the can, and smoked out of doors imparts the same aroma.

Solani Virginia Flake is another VA/Per blend, also earthy, and not quite as sweet as GL Pease.

Beacon is a pipe tobacco by McClelland. It is another favorite in my series of VA/Perique blends. It comes in coarse chunks and must be crumbled before lighting. The flavor is somewhat less earthy than Solani Virginia Flake.

If you want to experiment with blending your own, try this:
1 oz Perique
2 oz Toasted Burley
2 oz Yellow VA
3 oz. Red Va.
I've been smoking this blend for several weeks, and quite like it.

I purchase my pipe tobacco from PipesAndCigars.com Nice folks to deal with. If VA/Per blends are something you're interested in, they have many, some under their own proprietary label which are quite good.

I'm not against sweet tea, but I like to enjoy it without sweetness too. I'm not a fan of lemon in my tea though.

I agree that coffee smells better than it tastes. But that's just my opinion for what it's worth.

I love when a can of coffee is freshly opened and that aroma fills the air. If they could bottle that smell I'd buy a case of it.

Flint311 said:
***SNIP***

I was agreeing right up to the end. I like coffee! It's healthy...made from beans and it's like a cardio without the sweat :shocked2: :redface:

As for pipe tobacco, the only thing easily available here is Captain Black

I got sick smoking coffee. My brother, cousin, and myself used some of Grandpa's Bull Durham papers and made cigarettes out of it. All of us were pukin' like crazy inside of 5-10 minutes. I like to drink it, but will never again try smoking it.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just looking on Townsend's shifting the past page, he has a painting by Louis de Moni of a younge couple dipping clay pipes in a clay pot or ember bowl full of soapy water and using it to make bubbles. :hmm:

Seattle Pipe Club makes a blend called Plum Pudding that is highly touted and I think lives up to it's billing.
I have heard alot about Esoterica Penzance but it has not been available the last several years, at least to me. I would love to try some but have never been able to buy any.

When I had my ml shop in Indiana I was still smoking a pipe. I carried some knikinik tobbacos from an Indian tribe in New York state. Actually, they sold six different mixes. I forget which one was my favorite but I used it for years. At our local club we had a member who was a State Trooper. One day he asked me what kind of tobbaco I was using. I told him it was completely natural and contained no tobbaco, just navtive plants. Never forget the long strange look he gave me..... :redface:

Are you talking about "American Spirt"? Good stuff and no presevatives or additives. Can smoke hot but generaly cool and enjoyable. It aint a Good English though.

My buddy Dick -- and yes I know you guys can't wait for the next installment: "Dick at Kwanza" -- thought Mac Baren's Cherry Ambrosia was a f*****g stupid name because everyone knows there's no cherries in Ambrosia; it's a dessert with whipped cream and coconut, pineapple and oranges. Dick's technically a moron. Yet while all these tobaccos sound just so lovely they're full of junk to make them aromatic, adulterated with essences and oils, fragrances and liquors, who knows what and etc., to taste this way or that way.

Sorry, but it's kinda silly and dare I say immature. Not one, I want, if not try, to be a purist. Cultivate different tobaccos, cure them specially, blend some, etc., but don't taint our smoke! I do like cherry this and that, but, it's one step away from smoking grape-flavored cigars I feel. Which is, btw, what I buy Dick one of if we're gonna be somewhere and I plan on torching a cheroot -- I feel sorry for the man-child.

Am I wrong!?

No you aint wrong.Good tobacco dont need manure.I know some folks like it, to each thier own. I am put in mind of Barry Fitzgerald in the 'Quiet Man'...When I drink water I drink water, and when I drink Whisky I drink Whisky...Of corse I smoke Latikia, so I might need to add somee plywood over my glass house.

No, see, that's what I mean. That's just not right in your pipe! Next it'll be pancakes too. With butter. Fried eggs, over easy. Maybe a slab of grilled ham and a cup of fresh coffee...

Damn I'm hungry now!

Oh man -- you KNOW I'm gonna have to try it now. Darnit!

Hey, can everyone just mail me a pipefull of every tobacco they like please...

Thanks!

graybeard said:
try ivan reiss pipe shop in Chicago. they often have penzance. graybeard

Mention of the Iwan Reiss pipe shop in Chicago bring back memories. I worked near their store and one day went in to buy one of the el cheapo drug store varities of pipe tobbaco. The clerk was horrified and instead of selling me what I asked for he gave me a big sampler pouch of one of their famous blends. Not surprisingly, I quickly learned to always ask for the cheap stuff and always walked out with a supply of one of their great blends. Got to try them all that way. BTW, I later became a good paying customer for their tobbacos. Neat store.

Just checked Iwan Reiss and no Penzance! They are one of the several websites I routinely checked for Penzance and finally gave up.

Latest posts

Back