• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipes and tobacco.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpete

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just got into pipe smoking, and have been fairly curious as to what pipes,tobacco,and carrying methods would have been used historically,say from the late 1700s to the early 1800s ?

Just got into pipe smoking, and have been fairly curious as to what pipes,tobacco,and carrying methods would have been used historically,say from the late 1700s to the early 1800s ?
I would say anything they could make by hand easily.

One piece clay pipes predominate, by a lot. Two piece with a clay bowl and a reed stem would be a distant second. Anything else, unless one was very wealthy, would almost be an anomaly.

Twists and plugs would have been the form you would buy your tobacco in. Not this preshredded loose tobacco we have now.

Pipes were often carried in ones hat and tobacco in a leather pouch, again,,, not loose preshredded.

Please remember,,, the 18th century was far, far, more of a consumer driven society than many in this hobby seem to want to believe. Not everything, or even most things, were homespun arts and crafts projects. Sure, if they absolutely couldn't buy it, they made it (or horror of horrors,,, did without),,, but if they could buy it and sellers/traders could sell it,,,, they did.

Last edited:
A couple more links to videos that one might find interesting:

Making Tobacco Twist

Prepare rope and twist pipe tobacco

Another link to an article that may be of interest:

Tobacco with a Twist

If you are interested in obtaining some manufactured rope tobacco, Gawith Hoggarth & Co. still produces some. Try the website for Watch City Cigar. When available, they tend to have Gawith Hoggarth as well as Samuel Gawith tobaccos in stock more than other US distributors. Stuff sells out fast.

Townsends and Pipes & Cigars usually have some old style clay pipes for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
https://thequartermastergeneral.com/store/index.php?route=product/search&search=Pipe
I've been please with all my purchases and interactions with these folks. Pipes, silk bandanas, buttons, buckles, thread, maybe some stockings,,, can't remember all I've gotten from them. Prices seem reasonable given the product lines and shipping has always been prompt,,, and if I can support a smaller business that does good business,,,, I will.

I’m a big fan of Townsend’s. So not recommending one over another.
However, Samsons historic has a super big list of historic clay pipes both in white English Dutch French style and black German style. These came to America literally by the barrel full.
I like English blends, but blended tobacco was rare in the colonies before middle 1700s. Every state/colony grew some tobacco and people mostly smoked local. North of Mason Dixon Virgina and Maryland would have been typical smokes
Pipes before 1700 had small bowls. They grew after 1750 reflecting cheaper tobacco.

Clay pipes are the way to go, stay away from the “basket weave” clay pipes or ones with designs on- just plain old clay pipes from 3” to 24”. As for the tobacco storage, there were tobacco twists that were common, but trying to smoke modern twists are just complicated and don’t taste good. Get some loose tobacco youd be interested in, then in a tin, cloth or leather bag, or parchment paper envelope would be the way to carry it. Be sure to have a pipe tamper as well!

Latest posts

Back