• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is best way to clean rig grease out of bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike1518

36 Cal.
Reaction score
If one coated the inside of a barrel with Rig grease and stored it for the winter, or whatever length of time, what is the best way to remove the grease and get back to shooting?

Thanks

Gasoline? Hmmm, I think I'm glad I've just used Ballistol and bear grease so far.

I was just wondering about Rig's a because I'm bored with the long winter here so I'm coming up with odd ball stuff to think about. :)

try some Coleman's white fuel, you know the stuff for camp stoves & such. its some of the best degreaser i've ever used. just be sure to use it in a well ventilated area, far away from flames. cant say for sure but, it'd probly eat the finish of your stock too. good luck :thumbsup:

Can you get a tight patch to push it out the vent or nipple area? Maybe can even save some this way. Then clean with some HOT water or whatever to totally clean it. Better than "get some 4f behind it and shoot it out!" :shocked2: :rotf:

It will come out easy with automotive brake pad cleaner (really cheap) from auto stores. Like others have said though, keep it away from stock finishes.

My go to degreazer is (MEK Methyle Ethyl Keytone)from the paint section of the hardware store. Also a great finish remover from stocks so keep it away from yours unless you want to refinish it. It will also cut cosmolene.

I use a light coating of RIG in all of my muzzleloaders. All I ever do is run a dry patch down bore several swabs then load and shoot. Never had any problems.

I use rig grease to coat my bores while browning my barrels.Good hot water and Dawn dish soap helps break it down followed by denatured alcohol patches.

Capt. is right....no reason to do anything other than swab a dry patch or two. No solvents required. I have used rig in all my m/l and BPC rifles for 20 years. Great stuff. Cheers Paul

ike1518 said:
Gasoline? Hmmm, I think I'm glad I've just used Ballistol and bear grease so far.

I was just wondering about Rig's a because I'm bored with the long winter here so I'm coming up with odd ball stuff to think about. :)

Why not just stick with Ballistol or denatured alcohol? I think Ballistol is best because an accidental introduction to the wood finish with gasoline is not good and will definately ruin your day.

Yes, Ballistol is what I'm currently using but I do like to know what other "friendly" options are out there. Like I said, I'm bored as heck so my mind starts to drift...

When I say "friendly" I mean cleaning/lubing solutions that are human body friendly. I don't consider gasoline and its ilk to be friendly. Effective maybe, but not friendly. This will be my first season with black powder so I am curious to see how this all plays out - I'll be the first to admit, I have a lot to learn yet.

I just want to be able to clean with water and lube with stuff that won't harm me or my gun. If other methods work for other people, great, more power to them. But as for me, I need something a bit more basic.

For example, I've read a lot of good things about Barricade on this website, but people also say you need to clean it out with an alcohol wipe before shooting. No, that's not a big deal, but I'd rather just be able to give it a wipe with a dry patch or two and not have to have another chemical on hand just to shoot. From what I understand, Ballistol and bear grease will protect my bore and let me dry wipe when I'm ready to shoot again.

However, I'm not 100% set in my preferences though. After I've shot some and gotten some experience under my belt maybe I'll completely change my mind about some of these things. Who knows, but that is a big part of why I came to this forum? Good, non-judgmental advice. :)

What's the line? Don't walk in front of me because I may not follow. Don't walk behind me because I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Thanks all.
Cheers.

ike1518 said:
Yes, Ballistol is what I'm currently using but I do like to know what other "friendly" options are out there. Like I said, I'm bored as heck so my mind starts to drift...

When I say "friendly" I mean cleaning/lubing solutions that are human body friendly. I don't consider gasoline and its ilk to be friendly. Effective maybe, but not friendly. This will be my first season with black powder so I am curious to see how this all plays out - I'll be the first to admit, I have a lot to learn yet.

I just want to be able to clean with water and lube with stuff that won't harm me or my gun. If other methods work for other people, great, more power to them. But as for me, I need something a bit more basic.

For example, I've read a lot of good things about Barricade on this website, but people also say you need to clean it out with an alcohol wipe before shooting. No, that's not a big deal, but I'd rather just be able to give it a wipe with a dry patch or two and not have to have another chemical on hand just to shoot. From what I understand, Ballistol and bear grease will protect my bore and let me dry wipe when I'm ready to shoot again.

However, I'm not 100% set in my preferences though. After I've shot some and gotten some experience under my belt maybe I'll completely change my mind about some of these things. Who knows, but that is a big part of why I came to this forum? Good, non-judgmental advice. :)

What's the line? Don't walk in front of me because I may not follow. Don't walk behind me because I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Thanks all.
Cheers.

You can also try synthetic sperm whale oil. Dixie Gun works sells it, (or did).

A link to Dixie Gunworks Synthetic Sperm Whale Oil

SYNTHETIC SPERM WHALE OIL

I don't know if it is made from synthetic sperm or synthetic whales or both. :confused:

Actually it is made from a plant and like the original Sperm Whale Oil it is more of a liquid wax than an oil.

Zonie, I see that you are from the Phoenix area. My wife said she'd use me for target practice if we didn't get out of town for a while so we're going to visit some friends in the Phoenix area next week.

I've heard that the National Muzzleloaders Association is having its Western Shoot starting next week. We will be in town for the opening day anyway so I'm going to try stop by and check it out. Should be fun!

Back