• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well guys, I had my chance.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our two day fall ML deer season was over the weekend. I had my chance on 3 different does that were at close range , two of which were broadside. However, that small acorn flat has a fair amount of buck sign. They've been tearing up the smaller trees with rubs. I also saw one buck last week while preparing a stand site. He never saw me. So, I decided to let the does walk for now.

Put up a trail cam after finding all the buck sign and I got multiple pictures of a real hoss. Mostly comes in at night but got some beautiful pics of him during the daytime on one occasion.

In one sense I'm glad I held off but in another sense I wished I had put another one in the freezer. But I figure there's still plenty of time for that so I think it was the best choice to hold off on the doe for now.

Late ML season is in December, plus I'll most likely use my ML during the orange army crazy season. Until then, its back to my crossbow.

Last edited:
Here in Tenasi the deer seasons vary in the different counties. But, for me in my county, muzzleloading deer season opens here on Nov. 4th and runs through Nov. 17. Then, the next day, on Nov. 18th, the regular firearms deer season opens. That runs through the rest of the year, until January 7th.
I can hunt with my muzzleloaders throughout the entire Nov. 4th to Jan. 7th deer season. I haven't used a modern rifle for deer hunting in over 20 years. Here, I can take two bucks and two does. However, I only want one, and I don't care if its a buck or a doe.
Last year I only saw one buck. I fired, but my shot hit a tree.

For me it is meat in the freezer first, then I get picky.
Eric, I already have two in the freezer, for now. :)

I agree, its has always been about the meat first for this ole boy. And yes, I'm walking out on a limb here because this is the first time in my life I have done so. But good Lord willing, I still have plenty of time to get it all done.

Time will tell, I reckon.

My freezer filling opportunity starts tomorrow morning. I only have a couple acres to hunt so don't have the luxury this year if being too picky. So for me it is meat first. Hopefully I will be blessed with a few in the freezer and then I might hold out for "that" buck. From tomorrow until the middle of January three doe per day is the limit. I've never shot more then one a day. I guess I always thought a good shot meant the hunt for the day was over. Not this year. I'm packing two rifles and, if I get one early in the day, and it isn't too hot, I may let it lay and wait for another one to visit.

Well fellas, my deer hunting for this season is complete. Filled all my tags and that should surely fill my freezers. Now its back to squirrel hunting, finally.

I will not be hunting the late ML season as I am officially tagged out. Wound up with a fairly decent buck but didn't happen with my ML, and as Rusty stated, "Patience Grasshopper". Well, against my will, I had to maintain patience to get it done. :)

Maybe next year I'll score with a ML.

Last edited:
My freezer filling opportunity starts tomorrow morning. I only have a couple acres to hunt so don't have the luxury this year if being too picky. So for me it is meat first. Hopefully I will be blessed with a few in the freezer and then I might hold out for "that" buck. From tomorrow until the middle of January three doe per day is the limit. I've never shot more then one a day. I guess I always thought a good shot meant the hunt for the day was over. Not this year. I'm packing two rifles and, if I get one early in the day, and it isn't too hot, I may let it lay and wait for another one to visit.
I hope your hunting is going well so far, Tim. With limited hunting grounds it adds a different element to the equation for sure. IMO, and with the way things are going politically in the world right now, being stocked up on meat would be a great idea.

In terms of getting multiple deer in the same day, or the same hunt, I can tell you with certainty that it is a lot of work. Gotten several doubles with arrows and rifles on the same hunt. Once I was simple minded enough to get a triple one morning and it was still early bow season. I was not near home and by the time I got all of them to my garage, it was way too warm for that nonsense. The only good aspect of it all was my boat was tied up just downhill about 100 yards away, so the drags were easy enough.

By the time I got all three to my garage I looked like a Samurai soldier with that knife in one hand and swatting flies with the other hand at the same time. It was then that I promised myself "never again".

I am sure if you were to get one in the morning and then one in the evening it would ease up some of the urgency. At the very least, butchering them both at the same time makes it somewhat easier, in terms of only having to clean up the mess one time instead of two.

All in all, I'm now glad I held off (this time). It payed off in the end but I still prefer filling all but my buck tag first. The meat is of utmost importance to my wife and I.

Unfortunately this was not a ML kill. Still had two tags to fill and I the dreadful orange army season opened. I suppose that, considering the distance, I might have been able to have pulled it off with one of my ML IF I could have seen the sights.

Attachments

• 2023 Buck.jpeg
    2023 Buck.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This bad boy was in my yard two days ago. I never had a chance at one like this during my hunting days. Deer come through y yard all day every day. I have never shot one there and never will unless it is for survival. Doing so wouldn't be hunting, it would be unsportsmanlike harvesting.

Attachments

• buck deer.JPG
    buck deer.JPG
    638.4 KB · Views: 0
This bad boy was in my yard two days ago. I never had a chance at one like this during my hunting days. Deer come through y yard all day every day. I have never shot one there and never will unless it is for survival. Doing so wouldn't be hunting, it would be unsportsmanlike harvesting.
maybe not shooting him.but i would have gave chase after him with a stick just to have some fun lol. u made a good choice

I had a chance at a nice little meat buck but I was 1 or 2 seconds slow on the draw. I had my rifle almost on my shoulder and cocked when he jumped behind a bush and was gone. Two others I hunt with both scored so we all have some meat in the freezer.

Three in the freezer here, but none with the flintlock yet. Two with the crossbow including one good buck.

View attachment 270037
Good one for sure. Congrats to you.

This is the Euro mount (minus the barn wood) that I finished up today from the buck I got last Saturday.

Attachments

• Euro mount.jpg
    Euro mount.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Thank you. I found that using salon hair die paste works very well at bleaching the skull to give it a nice, bright white appearance. They do not look very good until they are bleached, IMO.

Also, this time I used my pressure washer, along with two sessions of boiling the skull. Saved a lot of time and work, unlike on the first two I did.

Back