• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD-40 Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a lot of strange beliefs associated with WD40 over the years. Is anyone here old enough to remember when the "fact" that WD40 used on guns could/would cause the metal to develop cracks like wood does when it checks from drying? That idea was being pushed by a lot of people in the hobby. It went on for years, personal testimony of its validity, chemical explanations of why it was true and how it worked, right down to the molecular level...that theory seems to have evaporated these days, haven't heard it put forward for some long time.

Spence

Hi Spence,

Yes, I remember some of that. WD 40 may/can harm some stock finishes, but not the metal parts, to my knowledge.

Sometime in the early 1980's, the guy who owned the Sutler's Booth at the NSSA National Grounds had me pick up a lock to put on the outside door for the long periods of time between Spring and Fall National Championships. The lock stayed outside and in rain and snow. It was a lock where we could set the combination and that way we didn't have to worry about getting keys for the different people allowed access.

I was shocked when the Spring Nationals were done that year, that the owner took a can of WD 40 and sprayed inside the lock until it came running out. Since I was the first guy on the crew to come in each year; that Fall, I wasn't sure if the lock would open. Well, it did with no problems and we continued to do that to the lock as late as 2005, the last year I went to a NSSA Championship, when that lock had been outside over 20 years.

Gus

At my ranch we spray all gate and barn locks each year with WD 40, they always open, until WD 40, you could not open them in freezing weather when it is was raining.

Years past, we shot a case of shells in an afternoon shooting crows, we used WD 40 to cool the barrels and to stop rust on them due to the heat.

rde

George said:
There have been a lot of strange beliefs associated with WD40 over the years. Is anyone here old enough to remember when the "fact" that WD40 used on guns could/would cause the metal to develop cracks like wood does when it checks from drying? That idea was being pushed by a lot of people in the hobby. It went on for years, personal testimony of its validity, chemical explanations of why it was true and how it worked, right down to the molecular level...that theory seems to have evaporated these days, haven't heard it put forward for some long time.

Spence

That theory went away when it was proven WD-40 is really Martian fish oil. :wink:

Artificer said:
On more than one occasion I've heard people recommend to spray it into an action or inside a lock or barrel until it runs/flows out and left it that way. Tried to warn them whenever I heard it, but some folks just would not listen.

Gus
I know people like that.

Some of the goose hunters around here go to the farms diesel pumps and use that to hose out their guns.

You don’t want to shoot it right away

:wink:
William Alexander

(in general)

my favorite Aunt (Rest her sweet kind soul) rubbed WD40 into her hands and wrists because it helped her osteo-arthritis so much......she believed this for over a decade. :idunno:
i'm sure it was the massage that was helping

Tinker2 said:
Artificer said:
On more than one occasion I've heard people recommend to spray it into an action or inside a lock or barrel until it runs/flows out and left it that way. Tried to warn them whenever I heard it, but some folks just would not listen.

Gus
I know people like that.

Some of the goose hunters around here go to the farms diesel pumps and use that to hose out their guns.

You don’t want to shoot it right away

:wink:
William Alexander

Wow, must be something with some goose hunters. (I hunted geese on the Mississippi River By Ways growing up.)

The guy who did it was a Goose Hunter on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. They lay in pit blinds and sit up quickly to shoot passing geese.

I could not believe the amount of hay/straw debris/dust/particles that was in the gun the first time, including what turned out to be a 14 inch Hay Straw. It was ALMOST as filthy the second time, two months later, but at least no long straw in it. :haha:

Gus

The internet is probably the greatest thing to ever come along for quick information and educating one's self, but it's also the greatest way to spread wrong information that there ever was.
Folks tend to just repeat what they read without ever having first hand experience, so a person has to wade through the :bull: to figure out what is right or wrong.

Redstick Lee said:
(in general)

my favorite Aunt (Rest her sweet kind soul) rubbed WD40 into her hands and wrists because it helped her osteo-arthritis so much......she believed this for over a decade. :idunno:
i'm sure it was the massage that was helping

I have a friend who's father-in-law sprayed WD-40 on his knees, claimed it worked. As a former Army Tanker, maybe I should try that on my knees, ankles and back. :grin:

I don't use WD40 for rust protection or lubricating. What I do use it for is during the cleaning process on the barrel. I've used lots and lots of WD40 over the decades but for muzzleloaders I take a different tact. The last WD40 I bought was a gallon can of the stuff which should last me into the next century.

After cleaning the bore with water and patch drying it I swab with denatured alcohol, swab with WD40 and then alcohol once more. I protect the bore with Barricade as the last step. Never experienced any problems the way I use it. Also if time is short and I can't get all the cleaning done, I swab the bore with WD40 and get back to finish it the next day or the day after that. Works like a charm.

rodwha said:
On another forum I’m reading how a couple of guys, one who has used WD-40 for over 40 yrs, has said it has worked flawlessly.
But I read of many who claimed they had issues with it gumming up or creating some sort of issues.
It's simple.
Both are true.
If you really choose to delve into the aspect of care for firearms.

Those that are most successful caring for their arms have learned that continued care is what matters.
There is no magic one treatment act that absolves the gun owner of continued care of his property.
There is no single spray, no oil or any single storage process that lends the best result.
It's all about care.

If someone has learned to use WD40 as part of their "continued" care of their firearms then it probably works for them.

That said I use water displacement formula 40 for what it was designed for. I've had the same can of WD40 for a few years.
I do not use WD40 to care for my guns in any long term way. I have a different process.
I can't say I don't use it at all. WD40 has it's place in my shop.
But it's not the "go to, no problem" gun treatment in my world.
Like I said, it's got it's place. But it sure isn't the item that keeps my guns going.

For a long time, reading these never ending opinions about WD-40, both super pro and super con, I believed it had to due with humidity. I see however several guys in super humid areas have the same excellent luck with I do here in arid AZ :idunno:

I believe Necchi is correct, its about how you learned to use it. I have no explanation for the "Gumming up" issues, I have never seen it. I dont over use though? I see Richard Eames has great luck in his fence gates in humid TX BUT gumming up on a heavy gate hinge gate may be a good thing?

I am now using it as Necchi and finishing with Barricade per its many praises and no damnation's. I do wonder why I spent $8.00 and changed though, WD-40 worked for me for 40+ years. I do have a model 94 30-30 that I cleaned with it for years and when it started jamming during working action my Gunsmith told me it was FILTHY and all he did was clean it. No moving parts in muzzle-loaders though.

I use WD-40 only for its intended purpose of displacing water when I clean my gun. After using it, I thoroughly wipe it off all surfaces and replace it with a good gun oil. Using it that way, I have had absolutely no issues with it. It is great stuff when used as intended. But Ballistol.....ahh Ballistol. Now you are talking. I love that stuff and use quite a bit of it. Cleaning, lubricating, polishing and the list of uses and surfaces upon which it is useful just goes on and on.

Huh. I use WD-40 after cleaning. Just inside the bore. Wipe any excess that is outside.

If it does gum up it never seems to hinder the loading process.

I use a silicon spray for the inside parts of the lock. I tried greasing those parts but that didn't work so well in the cold.

There is just so much out there for lubes it is difficult to know where to start.

One thing I never seem to hear is Hoppes #9 oil as a recommendation. Why?

I used to use it long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. Haven't for about 30 years. I still have my original bottle of it from when I was in high school, more than 50 years ago. I keep it on my gun bench for memories and to smell it every now and then for nostalgia. I have a needle applicator that I use Hoppes #9 on occasionally for other things, even once in a while on the inside of my Enfield lock. Now I use Slip2000 extreme weapons lube on all my firearms, inside and out. My muzzleloaders have all taken a great liking to it, just like all my centerfire pistols.

Never used WD40 but some in our deer hunting group used it and wondered why they were getting misfires. One day while on stand I heard what I thought was someone hunting squirrels w/ a .22....in reality it was one of our party shooting at deer and only the cap was going off. This had happened to some others in our party and the problem was solved by no longer using WD40.

As to its use in the cleaning process, there are better cleaners/lubes and if one wants to eliminate moisture in the bore, use hot water and then lube......have done this for yrs w/o rust......Fred

After years of debates, argument, testimonials and horror stories about WD-40, I have come to a conclusion............

Users of WD-40 are entrenched in their decisions.... Why would a newbie even consider using it when it is so controversial?
There are other products out there with far less controversy or none at all, that work flawlessly...

Still!....No product is a remedy for improper cleaning or storage...

Back