• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanting to get into casting ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a LEE pot is $65, why mess around with a camp stove and a pan?

When you find your ideal temp, leave the dial alone and start casting.

fleener

:thumbsup: Sure thing Dutch.

But.. I need someone to send me a can of each powder to be tested, and a chrony.. I only pave Pyrodex P and Black MZ and I dont own a chrony..

Precisely why my next outfit will include a lee pot. The camp stove and a decent cast iron pot together cost more than the lee Bottom pour.

Grr Whiz, Aduii, I wasn't expecting a silly excuse like that.

When I was teaching at Washington Univ. here in St. Louis I quickly learned that the student's assumed if you were teaching, you knew absolutely everything. If you said you didn't know the answer to anything, half the class of 165 students would never reappear.

I used to begin my first lecture by stating that NO ONE could possibly know EVERYTHING.
That going to college would give you some facts, the knowledge of how to think with those facts, and where to get more facts through research.

Still. if someone asked a question I didn't know the answer, I would compliment them on a great question and ask them to report back. They never did report back but I didn't lose half my class.

Who was the gentleman who spent about 5 years timing flintlock ignition systems?
He had the equipment and the sense of the scientific system to run the test you suggest..
What is your personal evaluation of BlackMZ?

Enquiring minds want to know”¦..

Dutch

Sorry dutch :grin: Just the smartaleck in me coming out Im afraid.

As for BlackMZ.
Since figuring out my nipple fouling issue was because I didn't get all the oil blown out of the drum before shooting her I've not had any complaints.
The short:
It goes bang every time in my caplock, and gives reasonable accuracy with my ability (or lack thereof) taken into account. It cleans up very easily, and I have noticed no rust with my normal procedure followed.

That said Im one of those fools who over oils his gun between range trips. I figure the hassle of cleaning the oil out before going to the range is worth the peace of mind I get knowing my rifle is not going to rust even if it sits in my cabinet for a year.

I will be honest in saying I haven't spent much time working up the perfect load, but that's because the starting load I picked seemed to be good enough. I'm certain it shoots better than I'm capable in my gun with a 65gr charge and light to moderate compression under a .490 ball patched with .017+- Wal mart (blue stripe) ticking patches made in what I believe is a similar fashion to your dry patch system. (I use regular cooking oil, 1 part to 3 -4 parts 95% Isapropyl. Soak the strips dry the strips cut to squares.)
I also swab between each shot.

To be sure I wasn't missing something I took an unmentionable to the range with it one day and compared my shots off the bench open sight. now this unmentionable is a tack driver. My groups were as poor with it as with my .50.

I do intend to revisit your writings and start over working with my gun and this powder just to be sure. I just have to take the time to really read it again and apply the lessons to what I have now. When I have done this to my satisfaction I will post a complete range report on the stuff in my gun.

Adui,

I don't believe you are using much of my System, actually.
There seems to be qa ghost of my influence but generally I think you are using Adui's System with similar success.
The central core of my fussing about is concerned with getting an exact measurement of your patching using a micrometer in the way I describe in my efforts. .
. Your description of how thick your patching is (17+) tells me you skipped that part..
I think there are many ways to achieve accuracy, Mine is one and apparently yours is another

Anyone who feels he has the one and only way to get tight consistent groups has his head in a dark place.

There are a number of posters on the Forumwho swear by my System but whose writings show they skip most of my methods.

If asked, I will say that Black MZ is apparently OK.

Dutch

:thumbsup:
Dutch thank you for your honest and kind words. I know I am missing much of your system from reading other posts, which is why I said similar to. I must admit the only things I do that are even close to what I remember are my version of the dry patch, which is admittedly not yours, and the fact I swab between shots.

This is why I intend to revisit your writings. I may not change much, it depends on how anal I decide to get in regard to accuracy. If I cant see well enough to make my rifle do what it is already capable why bother trying to make it better? Until then I will never know what is the load / rifle and what is me..

If and when I find an eye doctor capable of giving me glasses that actually work for me well, I will have reason to become that anal. Until then, I simply shoot because I enjoy the process.

Dutch Schoultz said:
snipped. . . . .

Who was the gentleman who spent about 5 years timing flintlock ignition systems?
He had the equipment and the sense of the scientific system to run the test you suggest..

Enquiring minds want to know”¦..
Dutch

Dutch,
It was me. I started timing flintlocks in the middle 80s at the gun making Seminar in Bowling Green. I've been at it pretty much since that time. At the 2017 Spring Shoot in Friendship I had a booth to time locks and photograph sparks. I hope i can do that this spring too.

I have a web site (listed below) with pretty much everything I worked on since the 80s. This includes MuzzleBlasts articles, experiments, photography, slow motion video, etc. Practically everything deals with flintlocks, flint igniition, barrel ignition, etc.

www.blackpowdermag.com

Best Regards,
Pletch

pletch,.
Since I achieved (ha Ha_ 90 I have begun to be afraid of asking about folks I knew 30 some years ago as so many are no longer active in ant real sense.

I would like to have your permission to add a link to your web site on my Ebook as I am a tad light on the subjects of flintlocks.

While we're at it, send me an email at

[email protected] and I'll send you a copy of my book for your amusement.

Dutch Schoultz

Latest posts

Back