• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

checkering tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cost of everything has soared in the past three+ years. Cannot for the life of me figger out why!

Our esteemed President, the one and only "Bribe-Me" Byeden, says our economy is GREAT! And everyone says he is an honest man. Who am I to judge? Why, just the other day gas was selling at $2.30 or less!

no, is that too much?
https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/stock-tools/premier-checkering-set/
1714260703294.jpeg

Cost of everything has soared in the past three+ years. Cannot for the life of me figger out why!

Our esteemed President, the one and only "Bribe-Me" Byeden, says our economy is GREAT! And everyone says he is an honest man. Who am I to judge? Why, just the other day gas was selling at $2.30 or less!
Wow! But I am true to my word so I will stick by the price a couple of days and then put it on Ebay.

Where can I buy the tools to checker a stock. Midway has a video of a tool with a double head. One follows the last line while cutting the next but they don't have the tool on their site.
I can't help you with the checkering tools, but congrats on a wonderful image. You make me want to head off to the bush for a while. Your Texas hog looks remarkably like our variety here in Australia.

Cheers, Pete

have you priced them online?
I about swallowed my false teeth and i don't have false teeth!
Yikes! Ridiculous prices, get creative.

Get Monty Kennedy's book. IT shows how to make all the tools you need.

My best spacers were made by me. They were as used for english flat top checkering. I then pointed it up with a home made 60* tool. About the only factory made tool I use is the 60* single line cutter.

To make a single line cutter,
Make the 60*, or 75, shape of the cutter head. 1/8" drill rod is excellent. Old screw drivers are fine too.
Lay out the teeth by dragging the cutter head across the teeth of a large file
Make the cutting teeth with a 3-corner need file that has a safe side.
You can harden it but it does not matter much. If you do draw the head back to about straw color and touch the teeth up after.

When you make you own cutters, you can do stuff the factory does not do. Super long cutters for instance. Another I do is to make the nose of the cutter, cut on the pull. The rest cust on the push. So you can change the angle to change the cut. Also, make safe side cutters. I use those to lay out borders and master lines. Master lines are cut against Dymo label tape.

Tools are tools are tools......

To be a successful stock checkerer, you need the patience of Job and then some, and a masterful ability to fix your mistakes like they never happened.

Panels are easy, wrap arounds not so much. Start out with the simple easy stuff, and prepare to be years down the road before the difficult turns out good.

Screenshot_20240508_205005_Gallery.jpg

Ryan,
The check is in today's mail. 11 days to get here!! I put the checkering tools in the mail to you and they say that you should get them next Monday. The tracking number is: 9534 6104 0668 4130 1955 91.
please let me know when they arrive.
Many thanks,
Kip
Fantastic. Thank you!

Back