• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using mask while melting lead.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It probably wasn't such a good idea to start a thread about masks of any type in light of current events. Very controversial right now. Thanks for all the responses, especially about being tested for lead after years of smelting, casting, moisture in lead, etc...and the results.
I am wearing a half face mask with filters now mainly for the fact that I'm new at this and it won't hurt. I need to up my game on the protective clothing though.
Thanks

My concern is the mask could be flamable. Have not tried to light the ones i have. I wear glasses so eyes protected. Rather small burn markscrather than a large burn area if the mask is flamable. No experience, just a concern ot thought.
I have never seen hot lead start a fire on cloth. I guess that it could happen though. The mask that I use is a plastic mask that fits to the head and covers the whole face. I believe that it does help protect the face from fumes and flying lead.

I started melting lead when I was a kid probably 45 years ago. Id help my dad make fishing sinkers. He'd do it right on the kitchen stove with only the outside exhaust fan on and a window cracked open. He later switched to a Coleman stove outside on the back porch when mom complained. Now I melt lead in my garage with the garage door wide open. I don't melt lead often so don't worry too much about it. Never used a mask never will.

Back