• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unusual Import

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeChapin

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a old kit gun imported by Hopkins & Allen. I originally got it twenty odd years ago for my son who was a teenager at the time. I helped him put it together and finish it and he used it for a year or so. He left it with us when he left home.

It went through several moves with us and when we settled here I noticed the front sight had been damaged. I replaced the sight and sighted the rifle in about four years ago. I cleaned it and just ran an oily patch down the barrel every six months or so.

I asked my son about the rifle. I was going to ship it to him but he didn't want it and told me to do with what I wanted with it.

The rifle is a percussion with a drum ignition. When the rifle was put together the lock did not line up very well with the drum. It was a pre-inletted stock so we were pretty well stuck with the setup. I had some time on my hands so I took the rifle apart to clean up the inside of the lock and see if I could do anything about the lock/drum configuration.

Long story short, there wasn't much that could be done about the drum/lock problem without restocking the rifle. I did see how unusual this rifle was constructed.

The rifle is a .36 with a 25" x 15/16" barrel, half stocked in what appears to be beech. The nose cap is just a flat piece of brass screwed to the end. The barrel is very tight .36. Any patch larger than .010 takes a hammer to get the ball down the barrel. .010 is tight but goes down easily enough with just the loading rod. It does tear up cleaning patches. If I was to shoot this rifle more I would have to get another .36 jag and turn it down a little.

The breechplug and tang are separate but do not have a hooked breech. The breechplug is screwed in but has a hex end coming out of it. This mates up with the hex opening in the tang. The barrel is held in front with what looks like a 3/32" pin that is hidden by euchucian(sp?) plates.

The lock is a little strange. The internals are herkey. It has a bridle but no fly in the tumbler. The mainspring is a leaf spring and the sear spring is a coil spring that fits into an extension of the bridle.

The trigger is a single type trigger but has a light spring to let it rest against the sear with no slack. All this together gives the rifle about a two pound pull. Not bad at all for a rifle this cheap.

The barrel is short enough that the thick barrel doesn't seem front heavy at all. It hangs nicer than you would think from the thick barrel.

If the spirit moves me, I my get a new stock for it later. It does alright now so it may be a while.

I was wondering if anyone had run across one of these rifles before and has a little more information on them.

Hopkins and allen imported several spainish kits years ago. I still have one (in 45 ) which I use for deer hunting in the brush. They are on a level with the older CVA's for quality. Rough but relatively safe.

I took it to the range yesterday. I started out with 20 grains at 50 yards and could not keep it on the paper. I upped the charge to 30 grains and used a target someone had left at 25 yards. It grouped nicely but was low and to the right. I was going to adjust the sights but noticed that I had put on a CVA Mountain Rifle rear sight on it. It would move with just hand pressure. I took three more shots at a 3" bull I put up at 25 yards and put all three into the black. Just blind luck there. Some of the patches showed a little tearing some didn't. It looks like a session with a green pad coming up.

I'm going to put a new solid rear sight on it this weekend. It the weather cooperates I will sight it in next week.

I wonder if your barrel is one of the old Numrich barrels. They were tremendously undersized. My wife's rifle was supposed to be a .36 but we find that a .340 ball and a .015 patch work quite well. I'm not sure what powder charge she uses, but it is probably not over 40 grains of 3F.

Many Klatch

Could be. It is much tighter than my .36 Sharon or T/C barrels.

I removed the CVA sight and found a solid sight in my box of old sights. If the weather permits, I now have to take it out and sight it in.

Back