• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drum help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,Last week I received a brand new 32 cal barrel made by Ed Rayl. It’s 3/4” across the flats and has a breach plug installed. I want to install a powder drum and build a percussion rifle. My question is, does anyone make a drum smaller than 7/16” diameter to fit such a small barrel? I’m going to order a Davis Goulcher lock without provision for a drum so i can file to fit. 7/16 diameter powder drums are readily available, would that look ok on this barrel? The flats of the barrel are right at 5/16”. It’s ready to draw file and finish. The stock is also on its way, I ordered a Vincent style half stock from Pecatonica, I only had them inlet the barrel channel and ramrod. I have looked and have not found much in the way of smaller powder drums. Any leads or advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• A10C4C42-9D4B-4186-964A-AC05718B51D7.jpeg
    A10C4C42-9D4B-4186-964A-AC05718B51D7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Any one who can run a lathe can make a drum. The problem you may run into by making a smaller one is that it will be too small to hold the nipple. I'd just install the drum you have and not worry about it being a little larger than the barrel flat. It sounds like you're starting off on a neat project.

I’m looking forward to getting going on it. I should have the stock in 2 weeks, I’m going to place an order today at Track for some of the little stuff. I’m going to make my own trigger guard, toe plate, side plate and such.

I like all the suggestions, thanks. I ordered a 1/2’ drum. I like the idea of filing a flat for the nipple and possible shaping it some.

Another question, what nipple size should I thread the drum for, I’d like it to be set up for nipples that are readily available. I was thinking 1/4x28. What say you?

Latest posts

Back