• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jr campbell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a tvm 20 gauge on order.The gun Is open bore.What loads do you guys use for turkeys?What kind of range do you get out of it.I called them and they said to only use 2f in the barrel and 4f in the pan.I have seen where some of you use 3f in both.I have also read to go down in powder charge with 3f.This is going to be my first flintlock and am looking for a good starting point.

First you have to pattern the gun and see. Personally, I pattern with small targets rather than a large board. I figure if I can consistently pepper a the small end of a Coke or soup can with a few shot, it's good.

A standard starting point would be equal volumes of shot and powder. Then you can adjust from there. The pattern may be more constant with slightly more shot to powder...
Example 80grns powder with a 85 to 90 powder measure full of shot.

I use 2ffg for both prime and load mostly. With 3fffg reduce the charge by 10 grns or so.

IMHO 80 grns main charge would be a good starting point.

With a flintlock smoothbore in 20 cylinder bore you are looking at 15 yards or so. So you'll have to get close.

Shoot some stuff and see.

Your gun will tell you what it wants to shoot. Just try lots of different load combos an you will see. I think 54 ball is gonna be spot on with his info. Unless you have the barrel jug choked your gonna find it to be a 15/20 yrd gun which is what its all about anyway. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Please post a photo when your get your fowler! Start with a "square" load--that is, equal volume of powder and shot--and start working up your load from there. I use a 70 grain powder measure for mine. Then start working with the components in your shot column to determine what your fowler likes best. Mine likes 2f for the charge and 4f for the prime, 1/8 inch over powder wad, 1/4 in cushion wad, and over shot card.

There is a ton information on this topic on the board. Check 'em out while you are waiting for your baby to arrive.

Thanks guys for the info.I am just getting started in flintlocks and have a lot to learn.I am going to call and see about jug choking my gun.I think I may even go up to a 12 gauge.I would like it to be a 25 to 30 yard gun.The only thing is I would like to shoot round balls to.

I would bet you can find a load that will get you to 25 yards with a cylinder bore. My 62 caliber smooth rifle(20 ga) is good for turkey out to 25 yards...but that's the max. I shoot 75 gr of 2F, two 1/8" lubed felt wads, 1 3/4 oz of # 6 shot, two thin over shot cards.

You can also put shot into rolled paper tied or taped lightly at the ends or even use a cotton shot "cup." If you read past posts, you'll find lots of ideas to try.

I would recommend you look through some of the sage advice from our old pal Spence...his page has much to recommend it. As specified above, load slightly more shot than powder, BY VOLUME, for tighter loads. Paper cartridges or some sort of sleeve for the shot will help prevent damage to the soft lead shot in the bore. Only the gun can tell you what it likes best but in any event, the ranges will be 35 yards or less.
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Spence sure has a lot of knowledge to share, and we are blessed he shares it with us whenever he can. :hatsoff:

A couple of things..., I like to use 2Fg when shooting shot in gauges over 24 gauge. This is because a lot of us shoot shot in weights higher than that of a single round ball. Some folks in their 20 gauges shoot 2 ounces of lead (especially when going for turkey), which is around 2½ round ball in mass. That's pretty heavy so to keep the pressure down, 2Fg is what a lot of folks use for 20 gauge and larger.

I don't like to use 4Fg for the pan because it means I have to use a second powder carrier, and that gets complicated. In addition I've found 4Fg tends to suck up moisture from the air fast, and I often find myself out in drizzly rain or foggy conditions. Plus I've found that 2Fg ignites just fine when hunting with a 20 gauge or larger.

LD

In my 20 ga.cylinder bore trade gun, I use 75 gr. 3f and 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot for turkey. I have taken turkey out to 25 yards. Have not tried any further than that, as they have always cooperated and come in to at least 25 yards, most much closer than that.

Make sure that you can put several pieces of shot into the vitals area (head, neck), and when you have found your best load, make sure you do a penetration test.... that is, make sure you can penetrate a tin can (soup or tuna) at your longest range. Do not use an aluminum can (soda or beer) as these are not thick/strong enough for a good penetration test.

You'll gain a few yards, out to say,, 20 to 25, with a cylinder bore by using premade paper shot tubes. Paper is wrapped around a dowel until the o.d. of e paper tube just barely fits the i.d. of the bore. Twist one end, tie it off with kite string, fill with whatever shot charge you shall use and fold the end closed like a coin roll. Takes some practice to make. Check out stumpkillers posts. I believe I got the construction idea from him. Brown grocery bag paper works well but is tough to twist and tie. Newspaper is easier to twist and tie but tears easier.

I have a .62/20ga fowler from TVM and it may be similar to yours. With the right load I get turkey killing patterns out to about 25 or so. I haven't got a shot with it so far but, then, I use my .36 SMR for everything smaller than deer. 2F does seem to be a bit more comfortable with shot; I use 3F with ball. I prime with 4F because I have plenty and also don't go out in rain.

With an open bore, you may need to do something to tighten up your pattern. I have used some simple paper cups to do that. They are easy to make and you can vary your pattern a bit by using different weights of paper.

A friend of mine made some shot cartridges for his fowler by rolling some paper around a proper sized dowel, twisting one end shut and then filling it with the proper amount of shot. He would then twist the other end shut. When he used printer paper, the shot acted like a slug out to about 25 yards. It would punch a single large hole in a sheet of paper. I think if he had used a lighter paper or torn open the front end of his shot cartridge he might have been onto an idea for a turkey load.

The cup that I make is just a simple cross shaped piece of paper that you press into the bore and then fill with shot. It is pretty simple and you can experiment with different weights of paper to find which one gives you the pattern that you want.

Tons of great advice already and you can experiment with almost endless combinations. I would say that you will probably find a "square" load or slightly more shot than powder will give best results. Since max range will be no more than 25 yards, I lean toward #6 shot for best pattern density.

I've shot more than a score of gobblers with a cylinder bored Caywood .62 using 80gr. 3F and 1 1/8oz (by volume - equates to roughly 100gr. volume equivalent if I recall) of #6 lead. I prime with 4f mostly when hunting, but am just as comfortable using 3f. My max "for sure" range is 20 yards and of all the birds I've kilt, one was at about 23 paces and the rest were inside 15 (the vast majority at 10-12 yards which is where I set my decoy). After experimenting with different loads as high at 100gr. powder and 1 1/2 oz. shot I found best results with the moderate load I mentioned. And after testing paper shot bags/cups, plastic wads ( :barf: ) and various lubed/unlubed fiber cards I found that powder, 4 thin o/s cards, shot and 1 o/s card to hold it in worked great for me and the simple ingredients are easy to keep on hand. Every time I used heavier wads over the powder, I got "doughnut" patterns.

For me, there is nothing more gratifying than getting up close and very personal with a big tom and using my flinter to take him home. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Back