• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advantages/Disadvantages of 3f with Shot???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great patterning gun, I assume it's a 24ga. I have had guns that shot 3f well in the past. They also often shot 2f just as well. I often shot 3f for skeet, I always felt the ignition was a little faster. probably my imagination. I'm talking flint guns here, not cappers.
These small guage guns are interesting. I had a 28ga gun with a 48" barrels that shot like it had a full choke. Great for squirrels, but sucked for wing shooting, the pattern was a long string instead of a "ball" or sphere.
I had an original flint English SXS in 18 bore that shot exceptionally well with loads as small as 55gr powder and 5/8oz shot. It would smoke clays. I came to the conclusion it was the chambered breeches that made it work so well. I have never owned another flint shotgun with a chambered breech so was never able to test my guess.
The tighter string is what attracted me to try it for a turkey gun.#5 shot and it was a good 30 yd gun

Separate finances have great advantages.
We actually keep all of our finances separate, but we are very open about what we spend money on. It wouldn't be odd for her at all too pick up my credit card statement just to see what I've purchased, not "monitoring" just looking. If I really wanted to I could drive up to DGW with cash and she'd never know.

After the sticker shock, she'd definitely want to shoot it. I got a great wife.

We actually keep all of our finances separate, but we are very open about what we spend money on. It wouldn't be odd for her at all too pick up my credit card statement just to see what I've purchased, not "monitoring" just looking. If I really wanted to I could drive up to DGW with cash and she'd never know.

After the sticker shock, she'd definitely want to shoot it. I got a great wife.
sounds like you have a very nice wife. congrats to both of you.hope yaw have many years ahead with each other.

sounds like you have a very nice wife. congrats to both of you.hope yaw have many years ahead with each other.
Thank you for the well wishes! There's not many women left quite like her. She's the definition of "ride or die". I don't know what I would do without her, we've been through some **** together.

A few weeks ago we had a meth-head park his car in front of our house (totally fine to do, it's a public road, but it's at the end of a cul-de-sac with no other houses, so it's suspicious, and when I asked him who he was, he said he was the boyfriend of our neighbor, both neighbors had heard the commotion and come outside, and nobody said they knew him), The guy jumped into another car and started to leave. I went out and snapped a photo of the license plate, just in case. The dude came back and started screaming and trying to fight me. He started talking methed-out nonsense about how he knows where I live, and asking what would happen if he decided to just run up in my front door. I stepped back onto my property, and my wife was waiting at the front door with a shotgun.

He got back in his car and left ASAP, never to be seen by us again.

Thank you for the well wishes! There's not many women left quite like her. She's the definition of "ride or die". I don't know what I would do without her, we've been through some **** together.

A few weeks ago we had a meth-head park his car in front of our house (totally fine to do, it's a public road, but it's at the end of a cul-de-sac with no other houses, so it's suspicious, and when I asked him who he was, he said he was the boyfriend of our neighbor, both neighbors had heard the commotion and come outside, and nobody said they knew him), The guy jumped into another car and started to leave. I went out and snapped a photo of the license plate, just in case. The dude came back and started screaming and trying to fight me. He started talking methed-out nonsense about how he knows where I live, and asking what would happen if he decided to just run up in my front door. I stepped back onto my property, and my wife was waiting at the front door with a shotgun.

yep u have a have a great LADY.that would be bad situation to be put in with that meth head. glad it all turned out good for you.and also your wife had the gun waiting for you.keep an eye out for him to come back. it wont be in daylight if he comes back. stay strong.

Ok .... You and your wife are awesome ...

Here's a potential advantage - the gun will go off with 3F. On a hunt today, my friend was using his single shot 10-gauge. He shot three times with no problem. Fourth time, no fire. He pulled the load and reloaded. Fifth attempt, no fire. He was using 1.5 Fg. He pulled that load and used a 12-gauge chamber scaper that I had, and also shot some electrical contact cleaner through the nipple. Reloaded and it did fire, but it was a significant delay. Wanting to change something - anything at this point I gave him some 3F Goex that I was using in my 24-gauge gun. The next six shots for him went off quickly and with no issue. We were done hunting and at the truck, but still off the beaten path, so he decided to load the 1.5 Fg again and fire into a tree stump. It was a significant delay again. Loaded with the 3F and it went off instantly. The only thing we can figure is either his powder is compromised, or there is crud build-up and the 1.5 Fg is not getting down deep where the spark can make direct contact, while the smaller granule 3F must have been finding its way to the spark so that ignition was instantaneous.

Here's a potential advantage - the gun will go off with 3F. On a hunt today, my friend was using his single shot 10-gauge. He shot three times with no problem. Fourth time, no fire. He pulled the load and reloaded. Fifth attempt, no fire. He was using 1.5 Fg. He pulled that load and used a 12-gauge chamber scaper that I had, and also shot some electrical contact cleaner through the nipple. Reloaded and it did fire, but it was a significant delay. Wanting to change something - anything at this point I gave him some 3F Goex that I was using in my 24-gauge gun. The next six shots for him went off quickly and with no issue. We were done hunting and at the truck, but still off the beaten path, so he decided to load the 1.5 Fg again and fire into a tree stump. It was a significant delay again. Loaded with the 3F and it went off instantly. The only thing we can figure is either his powder is compromised, or there is crud build-up and the 1.5 Fg is not getting down deep where the spark can make direct contact, while the smaller granule 3F must have been finding its way to the spark so that ignition was instantaneous.
Yes sir, found similar issues myself.

I once had a flintlock not fire. On inspection there was a chunk of course powder stuck in the vent. The vent was a screw in type and thin walled.
The kernel was very near to poking through and it never lit up after a couple of tries. Only after I pricked the vent did it fire.
I cannot recommend anything thicker than 3f.

Hear you go head he’d put your meth in a different frame of thought and in a hurry to .Its getting to the where something needs to happen good luck and keep the shotgun by the door .

Attachments

• IMG_7633.jpeg
    IMG_7633.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
60 grains of 4Fg Swiss in a 20 gauge, 41" barrel, models 21,631 PSI max at 1,222 FPS.

90 grains of 2Fg model at 13,100 PSI and 1,302 FPS.

The only advantage of the finer powder that I can see is it all burns up in 12-15" in virtually every model I played with and this the muzzle pressure is dramatically lower than either 3F or 2F in all cases. Comparing the two above, 4F had a muzzle pressure of 282 PSI, a touch over half that of the 2F.

The disadvantage other than the obvious huge jump in peak pressure for 4F is that the peak occurs almost instantly, as in a tenth of an inch of payload travel as opposed to three tenths for the 2F. This is where your shot pellets get crushed and hurt your pattern if you don't use extra buffer.

My question is dies the lower muzzle pressure of the finer powder improve patterns?
That computer model is BS.

It might be somewhat accurate for Black Powder Cartridge loads but not for Flintlock or Caplock muzzleloaders which are not closed ignition systems but open one's and bleed pressure through the vent or nipples. Please compare your results to some of the Lyman Load manuals or the Load manuals that Sam Fidela put out. They may be old but they are far more accurate. There are simply too many variables that must be taken into account that directly impact velocity and PSI pressure readings. The open ignition system is what makes our flintlocks and caplocks much more forgiving than cartridges.

Back