• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRS Officers Fusil Parts, 1996

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was cleaning up my shop yesterday and came across some stuff I had put away for a 'rainy day'. Last year, a friend and fellow luthier gave me his complete assemblage of The Rifle Shop parts that he had from 1996. (The original invoice is still in the old shipping box). He said it is for a "British Officer's Fusil", and everything is there except the ramrod and front sight. It has two sets of pipes as well, for some reason; I think one is for a wooden ramrod and the other for a steel one. I will have to ask Ken.
The 37" barrel looks like .62 and is made by Ed Rayl and is round-bottom rifled. It is really pitted on the outside from being stored in a damp basement for these past 27 years. Luckily the "British Dragoon Carbine Lock" is in like-new condition.
He started to inlet the barrel channel but didn't get very far.
I am wondering how I am going to go about this. I want to build it but the stock needs work done that I can't do (ramrod hole for starters), and the barrel might be pitted so much that it would look really odd unless I made it to look old. (The inside looks good but I need to get abore light down there.
Anyway, just thought I would share this. I guess me friend was lucky he was able to get all the parts TRS in one order.
PS: These are not for sale or trade.

Attachments

• TRS 1.jpg
    TRS 1.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 8
  • TRS 3.jpg
    TRS 3.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 0
  • TRS 2.jpg
    TRS 2.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 0
  • TRS 5.jpg
    TRS 5.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 0
  • TRS 6.jpg
    TRS 6.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I want to build it but the stock needs work done that I can't do (ramrod hole for starters), and the barrel might be pitted so much that it would look really odd unless I made it to look old. (The inside looks good but I need to get abore light down there.
The barrel will clean up.
Is it a straight rifle?

You have several options as far as stocking that piece. It would be marvelous if a full-sized plan was in the parts? Is it?
Option 1....Lay it out and build it.
Option 2....Lay it out and send it to a stocker like David Keck and others.
Option 3..... Send it to a builder.

The RR hole is no big deal. It's a little stressful but if the groove is cut straight....It's no biggie.

Interesting rifled fusil, I have a set of pedersoli parts I’ve been wanting to repurpose.

I have an unused barrel i was going to line and rifle in .62 or .66, but will probably just keep it as a smoothie.

Pathfinder, evapo rust from harbor freight is VERY good stuff . i just did two rusty barrels they came out great. i make tubes out of 1 1/2 pcv pipe capped on one end in various lengths. put the barrel in first than fill it. :ghostly: ask me why im telling you this:doh:

I was cleaning up my shop yesterday and came across some stuff I had put away for a 'rainy day'. Last year, a friend and fellow luthier gave me his complete assemblage of The Rifle Shop parts that he had from 1996. (The original invoice is still in the old shipping box). He said it is for a "British Officer's Fusil", and everything is there except the ramrod and front sight. It has two sets of pipes as well, for some reason; I think one is for a wooden ramrod and the other for a steel one. I will have to ask Ken.
The 37" barrel looks like .62 and is made by Ed Rayl and is round-bottom rifled. It is really pitted on the outside from being stored in a damp basement for these past 27 years. Luckily the "British Dragoon Carbine Lock" is in like-new condition.
I am wondering how I am going to go about this. I want to build it but the stock needs work done that I can't do (ramrod hole for starters), and the barrel might be pitted so much that it would look really odd unless I made it to look old. (The inside looks good but I need to get abore light down there.
Anyway, just thought I would share this. I guess me friend was lucky he was able to get all the parts TRS in one order.
Dear valued Pathfinder, You cant document ANY so called' Officers rifle' there' aint no such animal 'not any issued at least minor details like authenticity aside Ide stock it up in a heart beat just wouldn't give it a name . A rifled gun on the govt lines being a Private but not Ordnance sourse would be perfectly plausible .if unlikely . Goodluck with it .
Regards Grumpy old Rudyard

Dear valued Pathfinder, You cant document ANY so called' Officers rifle' there' aint no such animal 'not any issued at least minor details like authenticity aside Ide stock it up in a heart beat just wouldn't give it a name . A rifled gun on the govt lines being a Private but not Ordnance sourse would be perfectly plausible .if unlikely . Goodluck with it .
Regards Grumpy old Rudyard
Thanks Rudyard- I was informed earlier as well- there was no such animal. But thats how TRS marketed it so I just used that name. Anyway, I started stocking it up and ran into problems with the stock and ordered another stock blank for it which is sitting and patiently waiting for my Undivided attention. It needs to stay patient a little longer though😉

This looks one of Larry zornes fusil kits.

He sells rifled officers fusils

Its a feature give's it charm ?
Rudyard
Yep ! Fine Wire wheel it , t lightly ! , soak it in oil., it'll look great !! Take me 10-15 days to get that te tire then stop the process and stabilize it , brown it ...

Last edited:
Clean and stop the rust. Sand/steel wool the barrel. The cold blue it and steel wool it again leaving the blue in the pits. This gives it an antique but cared for aged look.

Back