• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional ML Hunting Mindset?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pab1 said:
I was a corrections officer for a long time. It gets ingrained in you to analyze conversations and peoples actions. Picking up on subtle signs often helped prevent things from "going south". Have to learn to turn it off sometimes! :thumbsup:
If I spend too much time trying to analyze the other guy, I might miss out on my own experience. I quit caring why some folks do what they do, a long time ago. :wink:

Sad but true! on one of the hunting ranch's that I host, see's around 20 hunters a yr. Most are Great folks that have hunted with me there for over 20yr's every yr. Friends. Others the type you speak of do exist, the (Sad But True part!) They do not get invited back. For most folk me included , Hunting the traditions and friendship at hunting camp is a very special thing . There is No place for jealousy or disrespectfull behavior. On a better note. The Good outnumber, the bad! ,,,DT

I think you will find folks in all walks of life that have learned to envy those who are successful..., not simply some hunters envying others. They have a tendency to assume either the successful person was lucky, or cheated in some manner. They don't ever see the time put in that allowed the successful person to be successful. So in the case of hunting, they don't see the hours spent scouting an area in the off-season. They don't see the range time. They don't see the hunts where nothing was bagged, and they don't see the number of hours or days "that lucky S.O.B." actually invested to achieve that harvest. What's worse is they won't swallow their pride and ask, "How did you do that?", and for those that do, many will not be willing to do the same because they will not invest the effort, so merely walk away, grumbling. :(

One of my mentors taught me,

"Everybody loves to win; but a lot less people are willing to put in the work needed to place them in the position to win."

So while it is perplexing, it shouldn't take up a lot of your time trying to figure out what's the other guy's "deal". :grin:

LD

I belonged to a hunt club for 22 years and one family always griped and "turned away" when any member who wasn't one of their family killed a deer. If it were a nice, heavy-antlered deer, they actually got mad like they were being cheated.

No psychoanalysis was necessary. It was grossly apparent to all members and guests.

I guess it takes all kinds.

pab1 said:
I just can't understand the mindset of not being happy for the success of other hunters even when I'm unsuccessful.
Hunting aside, this just sounds like an element of human nature. Whether it's winning the lottery, a foot race, or a game of poker, losers tend to think poorly of the winner. IMO

Obviously, there are varying degrees of this and it will go unnoticed in many people.

pab1 said:
Over the years I've come across people who hunt with traditional muzzleloaders but are rarely successful. They often dismiss or ridicule other successful hunters using the same type of weapons. They often say something like "I get into the spirit of traditional muzzleloading" or "I immerse myself in the experience" to explain their lack of success. It also implies that somehow the successful hunter cheated.
It also implies that somehow the successful hunter cheated.

Where?...I don't see any thing in what you said that would imply that....

To quote Sigmund Freud to whom the quote is popularly attributed..... "Sometime a cigar is just a cigar"..... :hmm: :idunno:

I use to hunt with two guys who bragged about their lack of success....one would say "heck I haven't even taken my gun out of the case yet"....and the other would say, "My gun is still loaded yet from last year.....maybe it will still be loaded next year"..... :haha:

Two of the best guys I ever hunted with.

Saw it happen once on our lease. We had a female member who had never killed a whitetail, and to top it off, we were bowhunting. In fact, she was pretty much a new hunter with just a couple of seasons under her belt. But she's a go-getter and worked hard at it...harder than most. She ended up getting a beautiful P&Y buck of over 140 gross with a perfect shot. I was surprised that even some members of her own (married-into) family could not really be happy for her. There were back-stabbing discussions that she "cheated" in getting to sit that stand that evening (we used to draw cards for stand picks), etc, etc.

Personally, I was absolutely thrilled for her and let everyone know it. She EARNED that buck the hard way. I could not understand how others, especially "family and friends" could not be anything but happy for her.

Net, I think Claude hit the nail on the head. Has nothing to do with hunting, per se...it's a nature some people have. As a manager in a large corporation, every time I would give an award, many others would gripe that the receiver was not worthy.

I just ignore them and keep moving on.

colorado clyde said:

To quote Sigmund Freud to whom the quote is popularly attributed..... "Sometime a cigar is just a cigar"..... :hmm: :idunno:

Its obviously not a "local thing" as you implied earlier. Read a few of the posts and you'll see it happens all over. :hmm:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think most are right that it comes down to jealousy which does make sense. As Dave pointed out, those people don't see the time and effort that goes into being successful.

I hunt with mostly flintlocks cause "I like too" in the last 25 years I have shot one deer with a modern bolt action I borrowed from my sons friend to shoot a 10 pointer seen from the garage we were helping to hang his buck in. Pure chance.

Two deer were taken with a caplock 45 caliber H&A under hammer on very wet pouring rain days. Small game and fowl have also been taken with flintlock rifles some with the same gun I took two moose with.

I hunt with family and rarely discuss hunting at my club that I was the secretary for a few years.

To me hunting is personal and do not care what anyone thinks of my methods or equipment or clothing used.

I use what I like you should do the same and not worry about somehow important to you only peers. Do what you LIKE.

colorado clyde said:

So you understood it yesterday and today you don't? And you're quoting Freud? :hmm:

nhmoose said:
To me hunting is personal and do not care what anyone thinks of my methods or equipment or clothing used.

I use what I like you should do the same and not worry about somehow important to you only peers. Do what you LIKE.

I agree hunting is personal and the instances I mentioned above do not influence what I do. It was just curiosity about why someone would behave in that manner. I think most people nailed it as jealousy which makes sense.

Some people are not happy unless they are unhappy or creating discord in some way or trying to make someone else unhappy. I don't understand it and leave it at that. I try to avoid them in may life and work.

pab1 said:
Over the years I've come across people who hunt with traditional muzzleloaders but are rarely successful. They often dismiss or ridicule other successful hunters using the same type of weapons. They often say something like "I get into the spirit of traditional muzzleloading" or "I immerse myself in the experience" to explain their lack of success. It also implies that somehow the successful hunter cheated.

I've never understood that mindset.

You're simply witnessing man's fallen nature, his propensity to sin. Such folks are lying to themselves and then justify it by belittling someone else. Pride and covetousness bring a man low.

You have got the right kind of thinking when it comes to acknowledging the accomplishments of others.

swathdiver said:
You're simply witnessing man's fallen nature, his propensity to sin. Such folks are lying to themselves and then justify it by belittling someone else. Pride and covetousness bring a man low.
Oh, please. Let's leave 'sin' out of it. No preaching. :shake:

Back