• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch Hole?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russell Tique said:
Dan.How about a tapered touch hole ? Taper to 1/16 of the charge. What are your thoughts ? I know Danny Caywood recommends it. RT

The White Lightning is the best design or something similar.
I make one similar but use heavier walls on the threaded portion. I do not worry about the inner cavity being a cone, I don't think its necessary.

When loaded they look something like this.
Main charge will be less than .020 from the priming. Sometime powder actually protrude from the vent.
This is essentially what the English did and they built the best, most reliable and fastest Flintlocks in the world.
Dan
IMGP0785.jpg

Regardless of the information above from old MB magazines Platinum lined nipples are still being made and they are needed if shooting picket bullets or other high pressure loads. But they are not cheap.
Some SS works almost as good but some are not as good as others.

Dan

tg said:
John Woolfolk is a good guy with a lot of experience but I do not believe he has every really tried the original plain hole of proper size approch to flintlock ignition which is quite common these days as the story is that one must have a super high tech liner to get a gun to work, those who have given the original method a try know that this is not true. A plain hole of thne proper size will offer very dependable ignition if all other factors are up to snuff. More and more folks are trying this and finding it to their liking and a plus is it duplicates the experience/equipment of the originals, and please do not attempt to inform me that liners go back a long ways. I am quite familiar with the history of vent liners and their time and place of usage in the past.

There are accounts of "bushing" vents in North America and surviving guns with such "bushings". Details are lacking from what I have read and seen however. But thinking that ALL American gunsmiths were ignorant of what was going on in England and Europe is not realistic.
Dan
P.S. I HAVE tried the plain vent of various sizes. When I started out 3/32 plain vent was the standard and I built probably 4 rifles this way and have used others since. Its reliability, clean or dirty, sucks in my experience, but its as good as a poor liner I suppose. As with all things it will fail when its most important for it to not fail. Like when hunting.
If we want to carry the HC thing to extremes then the powder virtually everyone uses is wrong too. Its TOO GOOD. We use all sorts of things that are wrong. Flaked rather than Spalled English flints for example. These did not exist until the about 1800. This is very well documented. But spalled English flints are not available.
If you use Brandon Flints you are no more HC than someone with a modern liner in his barrel.
So we make allowances.
We have alloy steel locks 8620 or even 4140 not even a gleam in anyone's eye in the mid-19th century, we have rifling forms and land groove ratios that are at best rare at the time, etc etc etc. Steel barrels not iron. People use synthetic stains and plastic finishes (both inferior to what was used back in the day AND THEY LOOK DIFFERENT). Then people who use plastic stock finish tell me that a SS vent liner is a no-no? :doh:

If you don't want a vent liner don't use it. But the HC thing is simply silly given all the other modern parts, the flints, etc etc on the gun.

Dan

You have to love it. Some worry about HC/PC yet have no problem buying a brand new made today, early styled gun to look like an old gun. If I bought a new gun in 1780 and had this patina, that some people like to put on old guns, I would want a discount.I bought a new gun that I expect to look as new and I was made today, to look so old and worn. So, since my newer guns don't have as much to say as the older guns, my newer guns all will have vents installed as it would have been a HC/PC thing to do if they were in use over all this time and mine had that done to them in their imaginary past. YMMV, but I owned a "no liner" gun once, it just wasn't for me.Still own the gun, but it now has the HC/PC liner in it.

Dan,

I think your comments are right on the money. Has anyone tried titanium for a liner? I have a project percussion to flint convertion with a 10mm x 1.25 and the only flat head bolt i could find to make the touch hole liner was titanium from its properties is seems it should be fine but wonder if anyone has tried it.

bob

TG,
I drilled out the touch-hole to 5/16" and the difference was night and day. Much more reliable ignition.
It also resulted in much faster ingition, easily noticeable.
I also experienced a validation of a golden rule:
I changed out a flint with a ball loaded in the barrel. I then checked to see if the new flint was producing good sparks (without a priming charge, and pointed downrange) and the gun went off as if there was a priming charge.
Good lesson that it doesn't take much...

Cheers,
Chowmi

I'd guess that drilling out the touchhole to 5/16" (.3125") would make a heck of a difference, indeed! Was that a booboo in typing?
mhb - Mike

Typo indeed!
I suppose 5/16 woul be impressive, might not even need to prime the pan, as the main charge would probably trickle out and do it for me!
Yes, I did mean 5/64.
Damn beer...

Norm

Just seeing this thread, and since most of the membership seems to have responded I will too...LOL.
I've used stainless vent liners in every Flintlock I've owned...they're all heavily coned inside & out, with good size .070" (#50 drill bit) holes in them.
Ignition makes you think of the word instantaneous, and they are simply 100% reliable.
In the rare instance where I might have a misfire it's always because I caused it.

Back