• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial .54 touch hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen plenty of posts suggesting putting a touch hole pick (or feather) in the vent while loading. Pull it out and prime. Supposedly gives quicker ignition but I don't know if anyone ever timed it. Not defective.
I've tried it both ways and couldn't really tell any difference. Likely need not noticeable to the human ear.

Only thing I worry about is the rivet body of soft stainless does not peen closed, loose it's grip and come out of the eroded flash hole like bullet at some point.
Thank you Sir. This rivet is 18-8 stainless as opposed to the softer 304 analysis.
18-8 is the most corrosion resistant, hard and very high tensil strength. I believe you would split the barrel before you could fold that flange and spit the rivet. I've worked my way up to 50 grains of FF pushing a
.69 ball and it ain't loose yet.

I've seen plenty of posts suggesting putting a touch hole pick (or feather) in the vent while loading. Pull it out and prime. Supposedly gives quicker ignition but I don't know if anyone ever timed it. Not defective.
I'm not sure if it is faster; it does seem to result in more-consistent ignition and fewer misfires/hangfires. In the first 2,500 or so shots with this rifle, loading in this manner, I've had no hangfires and only 6 flashes in the pan w/o ignition of the primary charge. Probably half of those shots were in classes where either I or students were shooting: not a context in which I want to have ignition problems.

Latest posts

Back