• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOTW graver question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
illuveatar said:
Most folks make it seem like you need to spend a couple thousand dollars on tools in order to do quality work.

on youtube and in some ads there are videos showing snippets of the inside of the shops of Holland and Holland and Westley Richards. Their guys are engraving in simple ball vises with chasing hammers and they're working on guns that probably cost as much as a really nice luxury car.

illuveatar said:
I've been to a few engraving sites and forums recently. Most folks make it seem like you need to spend a couple thousand dollars on tools in order to do quality work. Seeing your work and the tools you use has reaffirmed my feeling that it is both unnecessary and also cumbersome to use all those fancy devices.

Also, I feel like using anything other than a hammer and chisel wouldn't really be appropriate on a flintlock. GRS and Lyndsey setups are probably great but using them on a piece of 400 year old technology is an unsavory juxtaposition.
Seems like it wouldn't jive well with the Zen of gunsmithing.

Reminds me of a quote from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:

"You just keep thinking that Butch, cause that's what you are good at".

dave

The other aspect that is redily overlooked is the overall learning curve, time from tool purchase to actual passable engraving.

Power assist will cut that time by more than half over HC.

For me it matters not what you use, if you cannot draw a pleasing design you will only turn out miserable engraving, your choice of tools will only determine how fast you can turn it out.

:v

I don't have any customers, I'm only engraving for my own satisfaction. I suppose if my skills ever develop enough for me to go into business I would get a faster setup. For now I'm having fun just building my gun, so it's fine if it takes more time to complete. I'll get to enjoy building it that much longer.

[ if you cannot draw a pleasing design you will only turn out miserable engraving, your choice of tools will only determine how fast you can turn it out.]

Exactly! A good pencil is the most important tool for a beginner, and those like me who don't have a natural talent for drawing.

illuveatar said:
I don't have any customers, I'm only engraving for my own satisfaction. I suppose if my skills ever develop enough for me to go into business I would get a faster setup. For now I'm having fun just building my gun, so it's fine if it takes more time to complete. I'll get to enjoy building it that much longer.

Its not about customers, its about getting the quality of my engraving up to acceptable levels on a time frame that fits my schedual.

As a self employed individual I don't get to spend alot of time at the engraving bench. I have maybe a total of 40hrs actual cutting time.

That box is a donated raffle prize for a club that we play at each year, a practice plate of sorts.

I'll get nothing out of other than the satisfaction of being in a position to give to a group that appreciates the little things.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Exactly! A good pencil is the most important tool for a beginner, and those like me who don't have a natural talent for drawing.

Yep,

As time is a luxury thats in short supply I tend to "borrow" alot of drawings with enough changes incorporated to not be blatant.

But again, drawing is the key, I generally freehand the drawing either way.

This is some stuff I did in the beginning, for a friend of a friend. You'll notice the difference in quality of work.
fritz4-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back