• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I got a Thompson Center Renegade rifle with a Green Mountain 33" .54 caliber flintlock barrel. I have a couple of questions though.

1. What diameter of ramrod did the thompson center renegade use ? My rifle didnt come with a ramrod so I will buy one from TOTW just cant figure out which size I need.

2. What size flint does the lock of a standard Thompson Center Renegade take ? I assume its 5/8" but the rock in the lock is pretty mauled I guess someone tried to knap it and broke too much off. Sparks good though but want to get some new ones also from TOTW.

3. What is a good starting load for a .54 caliber rifle ? I still havent determined the rate of twist. I contacted Green Mountain and they told me the twist rate is most likely 1:48" or 1:56" but they are still looking for a concrete answer. I will order some .530 hornady round balls and some .010" and .015" patches from TOTW and I picked up some 2F Goex about 3lbs from my neighbor. What is a good charge ? Something like 80-90grs of 2F ? Game of choice is white tail deer by the way.

Last edited:
1) Honestly don't remember

2) I use 5/8 by 3/4 from Track of the Wolf

3) I shoot 75 grains of 2F for my T/C .54 cal. Results may very with your GM barrel.
Cool I figured it was 5/8" x 3/4" on mine but I wanted to verify before ordering. I guess I will start at 80grs FFG and go up or down from there. I think the ramrod is 3/8" but I cant seem to find my calipers or measure tape lol.

It's probably not a tc barrel. If it is a green mountain It's probably a 1:70 twist. If it's a Coleraine it's 1:56. Just shoot it and decide what it likes. The ram rod should be 3/8" but don't order FOR a Renegade because it will be too short.

It's probably not a tc barrel. If it is a green mountain It's probably a 1:70 twist. If it's a Coleraine it's 1:56. Just shoot it and decide what it likes. The ram rod should be 3/8" but don't order FOR a Renegade because it will be too short.
Oh yea I know its a Green Mountain barrel. I contacted Green Mountain and gave them the serial number on the barrel and the sales rep said its mostly likely 1:48 or 1:56 but he is still looking for concrete paper work. Barrel also bears the Green Mountain logo too. I am gonna order a 36" rammer and cut it down then sand it and stain it.

Oh yea I know it’s a Green Mountain barrel. I contacted Green Mountain and gave them the serial number on the barrel and the sales rep said it’s ust measure the twist mostly likely 1:48 or 1:56 but he is still looking for concrete paper work. Barrel also bears the Green Mountain logo too. I am gonna order a 36" rammer and cut it down then sand it and stain it.

Just measure the twist rate and see what your rifle is. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there and it only takes a few minutes.

Work up a powder charge starting at 60g or so. Shoot a group. Increase 5g and shoot another group. Swab between shots and don’t exceed the manual numbers. your rifle will tell you what it likes.

Bob

If you buy a 3/8" ramrod blank don't be surprised if it doesn't go through your pipes, they all come oversized so you can sand them down to just the right size for your rifle. I cut them down from the initial 48" to a few inches longer than I need, chuck the blank up in my drill and run 220 grit paper up and down the shaft while it is spinning in the drill to reduce the size to fit the pipes.

Green Mountain got back to me the rifle twist is 1:70" confirmed. The barrel finished production on March 29, 1996. Barrel is 27 years old idk about the rest of the rifle though. @longcruise was correct in saying it is probably a 1:70" twist. With that being said at a 1:70" twist will I need a stout powder charge ?

Btw you were correct in stating that the barrel has a 1:70 twist. Green Mountain returned my email and confirmed it and gave me the production date 03/29/1996. Thanks for your reply.

not to sound conformist, but i concur with the consensus: a 3/8 rod will do you fine once you sand it down. I would splurge for a range rod as well. Flint size sounds about fight ... i like the Fuller flints, but French Amber work OK as well. For best accuracy, look at this:

https://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
It's probably the best non shooting accessory you can buy... money very well spent.

(by the way, if the frizzen gets ratty, a Lyman will fit OK and works fine ... been running mine for years.)

best of luck, and Make Good Smoke :)

I have owned several 54's but my favorite at the moment is the TC Hawkins with the Green Mountain barrel. Roundball twist and a very nice looking rifle. All my 54's shoot best with 80 grains of 2F powder. .530 RB. With .018 pillow ticking. Used to use bee wax/Vaseline for lube but now it's tallow/bee wax in a 50/50 mix. Gonna try the water/Dawn mix soon just to see how it goes.

Green Mountain got back to me the rifle twist is 1:70" confirmed. The barrel finished production on March 29, 1996. Barrel is 27 years old idk about the rest of the rifle though. @longcruise was correct in saying it is probably a 1:70" twist. With that being said at a 1:70" twist will I need a stout powder charge ?
I also have the same barrel on mine and it loves heavy charges 100-120 grains Goex which is why I bought it . I’ve been using 120 grains for hunting for 30 years and love it for hunting but have also dropped back to 80 grains for target and shoots well also. Am using .020 patch oxyoke lubed for hunting. Spit .020 patch for target. I typically found that the deep grooves and slow twist is very forgiving with loads. As a side note Kibler uses GM barrels in slow twist a lot too. There’s a reason for that. Good luck and happy shooting

I want to add that I use .530 balls for hunting and.535 for target

My GM drop in barrel for a TC loves 80 gr of 2F, a dry .54 wool wad, an .018 pocket drill patch lubed with TOW mink oil and a .530 ball.

My gun shoots slightly tighter groups with the wool wad. My main reason for using it is during deer season I may leave my gun loaded for months and don't want the patch lube to migrate into the powder charge.

TOTW will tell you everything. patch size it depending on the gun, each is on to its self.

Latest posts

Back