• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts when buying a gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ocean forget it.. there was only one person I'd go out with.

Everyone else with a boat. No.

Most people out there I don't think even have the money to run into trouble. They can't even fill the tank.

They can't maintain it. They can't fill it. They can't fix it. When that happens it's in there yard for 10 years broken. Then they can't even give it away free

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513_235753_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513_235753_Google.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 0
4) Can i get without She Who Must Be Obeyed threatening to use it on me?
That's the main thing and usually the only thought in my mind when I go buy a gun. BIL is the same way and when we go looking at guns one of us usually brings one home. Sometimes both of us. Think I'd rather leave the toilet seat up!

That's the main thing and usually the only thought in my mind when I go buy a gun. BIL is the same way and when we go looking at guns one of us usually brings one home. Sometimes both of us. Think I'd rather leave the toilet seat up!
When I was single there was a clear message to any girlfriend. I have had guns years, have guns now, and always will. I married only once, 54 years ago. I still have rifles, shotguns, and revolvers, and my first wife!!

Ken.

As per the above SWMBO figures heavily into my decision. With me it's not will she use it on me, but can I slip it in without being caught!
If you go to the range with four and come back with five, she probably won’t notice, however getting a new box in the house is a dead giveaway. Be careful out there.

Wow ! I thought I was rough on my guns ! LOL ! I like character marks on my guns , I dont intentionally put them there but it just adds mystic to the guns history . A N.W. trade gun you could use as an oar if you really had to and it'd hold up to the challenge ....wouldnt want to use your $3000+ long rifle !! LOL ...

Wow ! I thought I was rough on my guns ! LOL ! I like character marks on my guns , I dont intentionally put them there but it just adds mystic to the guns history . A N.W. trade gun you could use as an oar if you really had to and it'd hold up to the challenge ....wouldnt want to use your $3000+ long rifle !! LOL ...
Im thinking a Dutch club butt Fowler would make a pretty good oar. I'm mean if it has too... You could move some water with one of those.

If you go to the range with four and come back with five, she probably won’t notice, however getting a new box in the house is a dead giveaway. Be careful out there.
Sometimes you have to think fast too. On time I bought a very fine S&W Ladysmith and was looking at it when I realized, I was almost late for work. I left it on the kitchen counter and left for work. That was earlier than my wife awoke. When she got up she called me and said "Happy anniversary". Think quick, it was our 25 anniversary for sure and I had forgotten about it. I said happy anniversary and did you find your present I left on the counter. Our 44th is coming up in Sept and we still laugh about that and she still loves the Ladysmith.

Buy the best tool for the job. Buy the best tool you can afford. Look after it. Keep it.
Buy the best tool for the job. Buy the best tool you can afford. Look after it. Keep it.

Is it pretty and can I afford it is what goes thru my mind when looking at guns. I don’t like ugly guns. Has to be a wood stock. Synthetics don’t have any soul.

I'm a wood stock man myself, I've never owned a synthetic stock in my life, I've met quite a few synthetic people though.

IME good Wood has a deep primeval appeal and can be admired for inherent asthetic integrity, such qualities arent easily replaced.

I'm a wood stock man myself, I've never owned a synthetic stock in my life, I've met quite a few synthetic people though.

IME good Wood has a deep primeval appeal and can be admired for inherent asthetic integrity, such qualities arent easily replaced.
Im a total wood stock guy too. But I do buy them with the fake stocks sometimes because they can be often had for much less. Then I watch eBay until the right wood stock shows up for the right price. My latest example is a TC New Englander .54 with a short barrel. Paid $145 for it and, when it arrived, looked almost unused. Now I'll find a wood stock for, say, a hundred bucks, refinish it, and be in a nice rifle at a great total cost. Plastic sucks.

Be careful as to what the boss (aka the bride or significant other) knows and doesn’t know, depending on the situation. Being as honest as possible probably the best, but pay attention to the noise in the room. I remember purchasing a handgun from a gentleman out of Freedom Wyoming named Dick Casull after a number of conversations in the 1980s. Forget the exact price, but it was well north of $1000. The bride still remembers all the details and occasionally asks if that is another Casull when there is a new arrival, long or short (she was impressed a few years ago when we were in Alaska and someone asked where my bear spray was, and I showed them it right there on my hip next to Dick’s gun). All she asks is that I keep a spreadsheet of current values. Not sure why??? No plans to sell anything here.

You can't hand paddle.. you don't get far. It's probably a little to cold to kick it back too.. or I'd jump in.

You should have oars. Two.

To be honest I wouldn't get in the boat.. without everything. Life jacket whistle. Good flashlight.. 2 oars..

I don't trust the motor. No.
100% agreement with two paddles, actually two of everything essential i.e. two anchors, two lines, etc.

Be careful as to what the boss (aka the bride or significant other) knows and doesn’t know, depending on the situation. Being as honest as possible probably the best, but pay attention to the noise in the room. I remember purchasing a handgun from a gentleman out of Freedom Wyoming named Dick Casull after a number of conversations in the 1980s. Forget the exact price, but it was well north of $1000. The bride still remembers all the details and occasionally asks if that is another Casull when there is a new arrival, long or short (she was impressed a few years ago when we were in Alaska and someone asked where my bear spray was, and I showed them it right there on my hip next to Dick’s gun). All she asks is that I keep a spreadsheet of current values. Not sure why??? No plans to sell anything here.
Lord don't let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid!

Because of the humble background from which I came , guns were always tools. If I had one , no matter how unfashionable it was , I could eat game , win shooting matches , and protect myself. Pride has no place for me. I've known many folks that had no gun due to unresourcefulness. No opportunity to hunt , compete , and perhaps to better themselves , as well as learn how to protect themselves. I was always a student of simple mechanisms , and the m/l rifle is one of those devices. The $800 for a m/l parts set , is a chance to build a copy of a fine gun , and use , or sell it , as needed. That's why I have no "safe queens". I'm not running a gun orphanage , nor a tool collector's museum , and have just what is needed to finish out my days.

ok ok ok I admit it. My duck hunting outboard stalled out and wouldn't start I only had one paddle n the jon boat and somehow my idiot buddy dropped it in the water in the river and it floated away with us having no way to retrieve it. I paddled back to the ramp using my modern shotgun ( I dummy corded it in case it was dropped). Didn't like using almost thousand dollar gun as a paddle but we had to get home.
I would of told my idiot buddy to jump in and hang onto the side and kick his feet.

Back