• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts when buying a gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A friend once told me why he shot a Bear Grizzly bow. [in late 1960s]

"It was not expensive and if he needed an oar [paddle] or push pole for his canoe, he could use it."

I have always looked at guns as a tool, and when buying a new one, I ask myself, would I, could I use it as an oar?

Doesn't really apply to handguns.

Thoughts?

You wouldn't use your cordless drill to drive nails. My thoughts, take care of your tools, they'll take of you. I've known a few guys over the years that have abused their guns. One guy in particular stands out, he was from a well to do family and didn't have to work for anything, had no clue of the value of things. Watched him toss a Browning Auto 5 up a creek bank instead of letting one of us hand it up to him after he climbed up. Dirt in the barrel, then shot at a squirrel and ballooned the barrel about 3 inches down from the muzzle. Coulda been a lot worse. He tried to say it was my buddy's reloads that caused it. Quit hunting with him after that.

OUCH,
Oars come in different price ranges, what is your?
Lol. Originally, when I got my first Shooter’s Bible, I was salivating for the Mortimer, but I didn’t have Mortimer money back then, which was around $500 dollars I think. Every time I get a new gun, I find myself wanting a different one. I never got the Mortimer, but like most gun guys, when I had two nickels to rub together I want something new. That’s why I got the Pedersoli SxS. It’s in my mind an upgrade compared to the Mortimer, more barrels, more choke, more triggers. I probably wouldn’t use it as an oar, but I did carry it for turkey season.

"It was not expensive and if he needed an oar [paddle] or push pole for his canoe, he could use it."

I have always looked at guns as a tool, and when buying a new one, I ask myself, would I, could I use it as an oar?

Thoughts?
When I go on water it is salt. Paddles are not useful. You need oars.

ok ok ok I admit it. My duck hunting outboard stalled out and wouldn't start I only had one paddle n the jon boat and somehow my idiot buddy dropped it in the water in the river and it floated away with us having no way to retrieve it. I paddled back to the ramp using my modern shotgun ( I dummy corded it in case it was dropped). Didn't like using almost thousand dollar gun as a paddle but we had to get home.

I had a friend out atv... I let him use my second one it was new...

I spotted the problem before we left. We filled up they paid it was what $20 at the time. They thought I bought gass for them too..

Top it off they don't want to stop because they bought gasoline they need to use it up.

When I realized they were a big liability. I was like here's your gas money, I'm sorry I invited you.

Sometimes that one scratch helps though.

I was afraid to use one of my dad's gun grandpa got... when I took it out there was one nice scratch on the stock. I was like good I don't have to worry about that.

Thoughts?
Buy the best tool for the job. Buy the best tool you can afford. Look after it. Keep it.

Back