• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on pinning barrel for pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
So I'm interested in your thoughts are on barrel pinning for pistols.

Specifically, is there a minimum number of pinnings/wedges? (i.e. one at nose end and one midstock or one at nose is fine)

Does a minimum barel length justify a certain number? (under 9" you only need one, over you need more, or it doesn't matter).

I've looked at pics of lots of originals and there seems to be a good mix. Seems like most pistols with long barrels have 2 pinnings while a few don't. I've seen pistols with 8" barrels have both.

One a longrifle the barrel supports the stock, more or less. Is a pistol the same way?

I've been mulling this over quite a bit as I get to the end of my current pistol build. It's an 8" barrel and I've only pinned it towards the nose. I don't think I really need one mid stock.

What are you thoughts.

(I'm probably way over thinking this. :rotf: )

I figure it this way,

When I pin a longrifle the first pin goes approx. 9" from the breech plug, so I used only one on my pistol build.

IMG_2335.jpg

A pistol I have in the works which is a copy of an orginal New England style and has a 8" tapered barrel will have two small keys...

goldhunter, i don't think that you're 'overthinking' this question, in fact it's one i've been meaning to ask, since my next build will be a pair of .54 cal flinters and i was wondering myself... my barrels are ten inchers, so i suspect that i'll go with one key.

anyone else... am i way off base?

This kinda seems like a silly subject but it's one I've been thinking about a lot lately. :youcrazy:

I'm wondering about the barrel lengths. Longer seems to have 2 pins. Yet I just saw one with a 5 ¼" long that has two pins. :idunno: I just don't see the need.

What is the function of the pins in a pistol? Like a rifle where the barrel supports the stock? There isn't that much stock there.

To help with recoil maybe? I can't imagine there is THAT much pressure generated in a pistol for that to be necessary.

Dunno, seems to be the builders preference at the time. I've seen short barreled pistols with two pins/keys too. The only ones I have saved right now are N.E Style originals with 8 to 12" barrels and every one has two small keys except one that has two pins...

Is it partly how it looks? The pic above: the first doesn't have room for more than one and the second wouldn't look right with two keys (?). Spacing has a lot do with looks as well as function, just a guess. :idunno:

Oh yeah,
You just happened to be the last post when I replied.

To the OP,
Just remember this one rule, when it comes to pistols there are no hard and fast rules. Most of the builders here in the colonies made pistols as an after thought, they were more for the upper class.

Unlike the Longrifle there were not the dedicated schools per say.

Flint311 said:
Is it partly how it looks? The pic above: the first doesn't have room for more than one and the second wouldn't look right with two keys (?). Spacing has a lot do with looks as well as function, just a guess. :idunno:

Could be. :idunno: I admit the longer barreled pistols look better with 2 pins/wedges and would look odd with less.

Apprentice Builder, I know they were mostly upper class firearms and that rule makes a lot of sense. Some pistols seem to have no "style or class" while others are pretty refined looking. I can see a pistol getting thrown together at a request to turn a quick buck so to speak.

Just to add some dirt to the mud puddle, here's my 12" barreled pistol, which as you can see from the pic, has 2 barrel pins in it. But, I think for a barrel that long, 2 pins are a requirement.

photobucket-1379-1323016384471.jpg

Goldhunter said:
Some pistols seem to have no "style or class" while others are pretty refined looking. I can see a pistol getting thrown together at a request to turn a quick buck so to speak.

You nailed it right there, I have looked at alot of pictures and held and photographed some originals, ( the ones pictured above ) there really was no rhyme or reason. Some are a beauty to behold, others ( many more it seems ) were just butt-ugly.

Latest posts

Back