• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Hawken percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Toot"

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a stuck cleaning jag down the muzzle of the barrel. Have managed to pull ends off of my ramrod attempting to pull the obstruction out the muzzle. I feel the only other choice is to force jag all the way down and out the Breech end of the rifle. Can't put my hands on the breech end remover tool. Anyone knows the dimensions of this item or might have one that I could purchase or even use for a few days to attempt this job. If I can get dimensions I will have a Fabrication Company here in my area to produce a few. I have sent Thompson Center a message to see if anything can be obtained from them, but for some reason I doubt that anything will be available. An if a fee is involved just let me know!!!!

@"Toot", the best choice is to shoot it out or use a CO2 discharger to send everything out of the barrel. You will want to fill a box with loose sheets of newspaper to capture those lost ramrod tips. Then pin those tips to your ramrod so they won't pull off in the future. A brass or steel working rod with the tips threaded to your accessories (most likely 10-32 for a T/C) is very beneficial to maintain your rifle.

Toot, good advice so far. But here is the T/C factory wrenches and their measurements as close as I could get.
Taking the plug off the barrel would be the last resort.
20231015_104255.jpg
20231015_113549.jpg

Hope you can read my terrible writing.
And I didn't check my numbers to see if they matched up going across. These wrenches have a little play on the breech plugs.
There are always people looking for these, so if you make several I'm sure someone else will want one.
Good luck!

Flood barrel with lube. Then I would try to blow it out with air first but would not mind shooting it out if pushed down closer to the breech. It is amazing what even a dab of 4f can do. Not admitting to having done it myself but have seen more than one dry ball shot out ahead of a very little 4f poked through a touch hole.. My absolute last resort would be pulling the breech.

Just brainstorming here but I’m visualizing a tap or ez-out on a lonnnggg rod somehow threading into and grabbing the tip.

Don't try to remove the breech plug. The easiest way to get it out is to shoot it out. Unfortunately I have had to do this myself. Remove the nipple and trickle in about 20 or 30 grains of powder, replace the nipple, cap it and shoot it. Problem solved.
I agree....but it won't take nearly that much powder....5-10grains should do it!

As said before, don't try to mess with the breech plug! Remove the nipple and trickle some powder, (5 grains is plenty) and shoot it out! You won't ring your barrel! 🥴

Personally I'd do a combination of all ideas. Unbreach it push it forward put in a charge re-install breach seat it fully and shoot it out. HA HA
OK im kidding remove nipple, add 5 grains and blast it out no worries just like a dryball not that i ever did it before.

as a last resort before pulling the breech, get a 1/4 x 28 grease zerk and grease gun, remove nipple install zerk and pump, hydraulics are an amazing thing! have done this twice on customers estate closet finds, works well, a little messy clean up but nothing boiling water and dawn can't handle, good luck and let us know what happens.

I have seen quite a few suggestions, an I think I will attempt to fire it out with a small charge of Black Powder. At least that is my plan so far, if I can force the cleaning jag and patch all the way down to seat it on the powder charge. As thick as that barrel is I do not want to run the risk of ruining the barrel. I will attempt to move projectile down the barrel before putting in any powder. I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback on this issue. An as I mentioned in the first POST, this is all my fault for not paying closer attention to what I was doing. I haven't fired any of my Black Powder Rifles in like some 35+ years, an I guess I am a bit out of practice, lol THANKS AGAIN, Louis O. , a Louisiana Cajun, lol

I have seen quite a few suggestions, an I think I will attempt to fire it out with a small charge of Black Powder. At least that is my plan so far, if I can force the cleaning jag and patch all the way down to seat it on the powder charge. As thick as that barrel is I do not want to run the risk of ruining the barrel. I will attempt to move projectile down the barrel before putting in any powder. I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback on this issue. An as I mentioned in the first POST, this is all my fault for not paying closer attention to what I was doing. I haven't fired any of my Black Powder Rifles in like some 35+ years, an I guess I am a bit out of practice, lol THANKS AGAIN, Louis O. , a Louisiana Cajun, lol
put the powder in BEFORE forcing the ball down to make sure you have a charge behind the jag

Back