• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THOMPSON CENTER BREECH SHAPE??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennypapa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was cleaning my TC renegade recently and put on my new breech plug scraper to give it a go.

The corners of the scraper got rounded off so I am assiming that the bottom of the barrel and the breech plug do not meet to for a nice cylindrical cavity.

Does anyone know what shape the breech end of the bore is? I'd like to re-shape the scraper to fit the contour of my breech plug face but I don't know what that shape is.

Thanks

Bennypapa

roundball will know about the t/c. He should be sponsered by t/c , because of his t/c knowledge.

Bennypapa said:
I was cleaning my TC renegade recently and put on my new breech plug scraper to give it a go.

The corners of the scraper got rounded off so I am assiming that the bottom of the barrel and the breech plug do not meet to for a nice cylindrical cavity.
Does anyone know what shape the breech end of the bore is? I'd like to re-shape the scraper to fit the contour of my breech plug face but I don't know what that shape is.
Thanks
Bennypapa
That inner chamber you can see is only about 1/2" deep with a very slightly curved floor with a hole in the middle...not much larger than a pipecleaner...that leads down to the nipple (or vent) fire channel.
TC makes shaped scrapers to fit the patent plug but to be honest, in 15 years I've never used one...cleaning the hooked breach barrels in a bucket of hot soapy water keeps everything so spotlessly clean in there it's not needed.
TCHawkenCaplockPatentBreechplugCrop.jpg

Bennypapa, A breech scraper is not for a patent breech. Those scrapers are for the plain breech plug where the barrel's bore goes all the way to the end. A patent breech has a chamber of reduced diameter and the breech scraper can't go into that area. If you need to clean that area it is best done by flushing. Le Grand

Well,

I flush to clean and I have a brush that I use too. It has the bronze bristles coming out the end like a paint brush and I put a patch over it to dry things out.

BUT,
I have already started trying to reshape this breech scraper so I thought I'd finish the job (even if I dont end up using it.)

Is the breech plug standard for all calibers?

Does anyone know what the radius of the shallow depressed area is?

Thanks for the picture!!!

Ben

TC makes two size barrels...a 15/16" for the .45/.50cals, and a 1" size for the .54/.58cals.

I believe the interior to be scaled proportionately different in each size...I use a small 25-30 cal bore brush on a rifle cleaning rod to wrap a patch around so I can slip it down into the patent breeches to dry then lube them after cleaning and the larger barrel seems a slightly looser fit...but I can't imagine the difference being more than 1/16" max...after all, the external barrel dimension differences are only 15/16" vs. 1".

My .02 cents...

I have one of the T/C breechplug scrapers. It is .350" OD with the flat scraper end rounded to about the same radius. If you have a scraper with a flat end it is probably about full bore diameter and will not even start to enter the powder chamber.
I also clean by placing the breech in a bucket of warm water and when I have run the scrapper into the breech after water cleaning the scrapper came out clean, so, I guess there was nothing left to remove. I find it a rather useless tool IF you clean with lots of water.

I have a TC powder well scraper and the bottom of it is rounded. Factory lititure says it will fit all TC powder wells. When we go to the range we make a day of it and around lunch we do a good cleanning I clean the barrel and pour just a little #13 down the barrel and drop down the powder well scraper and it will bring up the crud on the flat sides of the scraper I'll pull the nipple and clean that and run a pipe cleaner down the breach pasage. Now I'm good for the afternoon with the ocational cleaning patch. At home it's hot soapy water and a brass bore brush........Thats how I was taught and thats how I've done it for close to 14 years.

roundball said:
Bennypapa said:

Thanks
Bennypapa

TC makes shaped scrapers to fit the patent plug but to be honest, in 15 years I've never used one...cleaning the hooked breach barrels in a bucket of hot soapy water keeps everything so spotlessly clean in there it's not needed.
I agree with roundball. After cleaning my T/C barrels in hot soapy water, and pumping the water through the barrel with the cleaning jag, and cleaning patch, there is no fouling left in the breach plug area. I have used a T/C breach plug scraper after this cleaning routine, and it has come out clean.

You should be able to pick up a T/C specific scraper at Dixie or TOW. I recently bought one in .45 for a Seneca and Patriot that I bought. I haven't noticed any fouling in the breechplug area though, so I'm not sure it's that big of an issue.

Hmmm. I just unscrew the breechplug from my TC Firestorm and use a boresnake. The plug just wipes clean with a rag.

I guess I'm just special. :blah:

RedFeather said:
Best be carefule Mr. Moderator don't pull the plug on YOU! :nono:
Don't understand the comment...if it's because you think the Firestorm is an inline, it's not...it's a sidelock Flintlock that simply has a removeable breechplug.

Back