• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Things I learned this weekend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Logan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to an awesome rondy with plenty of shooting opportunities. I did learn that rectangular patches shoot just like round patches. I did so much shooting I got to running low on denim patch strips. Instead of cutting a strip from my pillow ticking shirt. I opted to just cut the strip in small rectangles so I would have enough. I had a strip about 10 inches long and had to get 17 shots out of it. so i cut little tears just wide enough to cover the ball on the sides. It was a lot quicker than cutting those silly circles at the muzzle and seemed just as accurate. I know a square would make more sense but I had to be so sparing with it. I was making patches for my 58 and that takes a lot of fabric.

The second thing I learned is to always change to a new sharp flint on a "hammer fall" klatch counts as a shot. (I already knew that) but wasted a couple of shots that I probably would have made. I had 2 klatches on back to back targets and before I could change it I had 2 klatches on a gray squirrel that came through the woods walk and posed for a perfect head shot.

I learned that anything fried is good eating, I already knew that as well but I fried up two nice bobcat hindquarters and I as well as everyone that tried them was pleasanly surprised. I cut the hind quarters up in small nuggets and rolled them in seasoned flour. I then fryed it like chicken and it tasted delicious.

One of these days I'll get to a Rondy :( Glad you where able to complete the shoot. I plan on going to Friendship next year an do a few shoots there. I would like to be able go to Dixons Gun Fair also. Ya'll are all lucky dogs if ya live within 500 of either. I have to go 500 miles just to get out of the State. :td: .

Everything sounded right until I got to the part about eating the bob cat. I just can't get my head around the idea of eating a bob cat. I've never done it though I have eaten many of God's creatures. Bob cat has just never shown up on my plate........and with any luck........it never will. :barf: I'll have to take your word for it being tasty. I don't think I will ever get that hungry so, you're welcome to my share. :hatsoff:

I agree on all points Tony. I learned the hard way on the flints myself. Did'nt sharpen one after shooting it quite a few shots and when some meat came along you know what happened :idunno: Never tried bobcat before but would if I get a chance

I am going to replenish my flints this week so I wont be so greedy with the real sharp ones.

I intend on testing the rectangle patches on paper off a rest to see if it makes any difference.

I had always heard that mtn. lion was good eating. I have no access to mtn. lion but I heard bobcat was pretty close.

Just remember when your wife starts you on "health foods"; Skinless chicken brests and sushi both taste a lot better deep fried in lard! :yakyak: :hmm: :idunno: The main reason I rendezvous is to cook what ever I want, when ever I, want how ever I want!

During WWII if you were selling rabbits to the U.S. you had to leave one foot on so they would know that it was not a house cat. They tell me that skinned they look just alike! Just saying! Geo. T.

I had to try a piece of that bobcat too and I agree that it was pretty good eatin'. Woulda had a few more bites if you had offered it before the giant bacon cheeseburger was already in there... :grin: I had never had the chance to taste bobcat before and figger I won't get many more chances later. Had to try it. Glad I did. Thanks.

As far as the new flint thing goes, I learned that at my first hammer fall rondy too. :haha: For extra credit points don't forget to drop the hammer and make sure the new flint sparks good BEFORE the real shootin' starts. :thumbsup:

Did you learn to bring more ticking along with you next time?

One more thing I learned is that when you find out your regular fixed powder measure for your Bess has gone AWOL and you are forced to use the adjustable one with the swivel funnel top that is in your shootin' box, when you drop that measure you should always check it to make sure the funnel end didn't get plugged full of dirt. If you don't check the funnel for dirt you get a dryball even tho you really did measure out your powder and "dump it down the bore". :confused: :shocked2: :doh: :haha:

Geo T said:
During WWII if you were selling rabbits to the U.S. you had to leave one foot on so they would know that it was not a house cat. They tell me that skinned they look just alike! Just saying! Geo. T.

I used to raise rabbits and sold them cleaned and frozen. Some folks still insist on a foot being left on.

I only had it once. It was sort of "tangy" tasting, and the meat was fairly light colored, like pork.

Jethro I bet you had a hard time convincing yourself you didn't put powder in. All these little mishaps is what makes it fun. I never know what I am going to forget to do or bring.

I can vouch for rabbit looking like cat. A friend back in high school roasted a "rabbit" for us out camping one night, and it tasted great, but confessed that it had been a cat a few days later. He wasn't allowed to do the camp cooking anymore after that.

Anyone has eaten any amount of Chinese takeaway has probably eaten some kind of pet.

One year, the Thundercreek Longrifles spring shoot featured a stew with meat that came solely from the carcasses of animals taken on member’s trap lines the previous winter. There isn’t a doubt in my mind that I ate things that night that I never would have eaten otherwise.
Back in those days getting plastered on Saturday night was almost as much a part of a ”˜vouz as shooting. If any meat fried tastes good, any meat eaten while your drunk ain’t bad either.

...getting plastered on Saturday night [strike]was[/strike] is almost as much a part of a ”˜vouz as shooting. If any meat fried tastes good, any meat eaten while your drunk ain’t bad either.

With just that small amount of correction I would have to agree.

T.O. said:
Jethro I bet you had a hard time convincing yourself you didn't put powder in.

I KNEW I put powder in. So after I flashed 3 pans I stuck a pick in the vent and didn't feel a crunch. Dribbled in some 4F and pooted the ball into the bank. Went to reload, swiveled the spout off the measure and it was already full...
That's when I saw the dirt in the end and remembered dropping it.

Lucky for me all this was after the shootin' that counted for score. I was just throwing lead up at Fergusson from across the creek for fun.

Jethro224 said:
...getting plastered on Saturday night [strike]was[/strike] is almost as much a part of a ”˜vouz as shooting. If any meat fried tastes good, any meat eaten while your drunk ain’t bad either.

With just that small amount of correction I would have to agree.

There are things that some of us must abandon with the passage of time. For me, one of them is excessive drinking. For the last ten years or so my yearly consumption of alcohol has been way less than a normal daily (in some circumstances, hourly)consumption of my earlier years.
In another week or so when you are out-shooting me after a night of drinking that would leave me unable to stand the next day, much less shoot, you will earn my heartfelt admiration.

Kapow said:
Anyone has eaten any amount of Chinese takeaway has probably eaten some kind of pet.

if we would have had some sweet and sour sauce to dip it in you couldnt have told the difference

Back