• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch material/methods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering changing from pre-cut lubed patches in a loading block to lubed strips of patch material and cutting at the muzzle, which would be changing something I've done for 40 years. How do you fellows do it - speed loader, loading block, or cut at muzzle? I want to use the same method for range and hunting. It is sort of a pain to load up a block or plastic quick load and know the patch is 'xactly centered, at least it is for me. I already have a super sharp period camp knife attached to my bag, which could double as a patch knife. I suppose one would have to seal the lubricated material in a baggie or something except when you are out shooting/hunting. Just wondering what others do.

This PVC pipe holds six patched round balls, i use it when hunting.

Yeah, i know, Grandpa never used anything like that. IMO: He would have used it if it were available:

wsrTZCdl.jpg

I have some “speed loaders” but have never used them. I have loaded with loose balls and precut patches, loading blocks, and cutting spit lubed or prelubed patches at the muzzle. I have made several and like using loading blocks (at the range and woods walks) but just don’t seem to get around to “loading” them anymore. I had no issues with spit lubed muzzle cut patches on my .62 smoothbore but have not tried it on a rifled or smaller bore. Spit lubed would be my choice for reloads when hunting with the trade gun I suppose. I would probably use a greased patch for my first load in case it sat in there a while. Recently I have been running prelubed (1:5 Ballistol/water) pillow tick cut at the muzzle and like it. I keep the strips in old film canisters before use and tie a strip on my bag strap when in use. I usually keep a few prelubed and precut patches in a percussion cap tin in my bag as backup.

I too don’t like trying to center pre cut patches. I’m considering getting some “oversized” precuts to give me room for error.
But until then I always use a strip and cut at the barrel. I use plastic speed loaders when I’m hunting.

I cut at the muzzle for trips to the range, matches and trail walks. My patch strip on a trail walk has a button hole cut in it and hangs from a button on my shirt. I pre lube the strip in advance. For hunting I have 3 to 5 balls in a board . I used plastic speed loaders for hunting a few times but didn't feel like they were any faster than a block.

I've never used precut commercial patches or anything sold as patch material. I've played around with my own pre cut square patches and found them to shoot just as well as cut at the muzzle but cutting the square doesn't seem to be an improvement in efficiency. So.

When shooting I cut at the muzzle and prime and charge with a horn. When hunting I use a load block and powder vials with per measured main charges. Sometimes out hunting I just use my powder horn and a strip of patching in my pouch and a few loose balls in a ball bag. Just depends how long of a hike or how long I'll be out in the woods.

I am assuming you cut-at-the-muzzle shooters don't bother with a wad between powder and prb. I'm learning to skip that lined wad, especially with the relatively weak charge I use - 60 grains. I'm thinking I don't need that buffed; it is just that my fired patches are so nicely intact that I keep thinking that is what is contributing to the terrific groups. Tomorrow at the range I will try no felt wad.. You know? Its hard to change. Thanks all.

I use a loading block when hunting, but for trail walks and range use I use pre-lubed strips that I roll up and put into one of the old aluminum screw top 35mm file containers that I cut a slot in to feed the lubed strip out of. The cap of the aluminum container has a screw eye that I use with a leather thong toattach to my bag strap. The container keeps the pre-lubed patch strip clean of debris and doesn't stain my shirt. Definitely not PC, but I suppose I could make a leather cylinder with a slot in it. I just might do that as my next project.

I have nearly tried most methods, and I mostly shoot from bag these days. I cut at the muzzle for years, and now that is history.
I use the same loading procedure at the range and out in the woods. I can load and shoot pretty fast if I need to as well.

I use dawn and water for lube, or moose milk works good as well. I cut the patches, and put them in a plastic snuff can, lube them up well
and done! I shoot a wet patch, and it works very well. Snuff container is credited to my good friend Rick, and it works!

IMG_5221.JPG

I am assuming you cut-at-the-muzzle shooters don't bother with a wad between powder and prb. I'm learning to skip that lined wad, especially with the relatively weak charge I use - 60 grains. I'm thinking I don't need that buffed; it is just that my fired patches are so nicely intact that I keep thinking that is what is contributing to the terrific groups. Tomorrow at the range I will try no felt wad.. You know? Its hard to change. Thanks all.
I do, i pour my powder down then i put a dry wad in bore. Then i put patch material; n push ball in bore until i can cut material off not hitting ball

Pillow ticking cut into strips about 1 1/2 wide, by about 2 feet long. Wooden loading block when hunting, loaded by hand at the range. Cut with a sharp knife. My accuracy went up when I started using bulk patching. I've been using it for probably 20 years.

Back