• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thick patch/smaller ball or visa versa?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George said:
I would say that what we need is a ball+patch combination size which gives a tight enough fit to give a good seal, and it doesn't matter the individual sizes of ball or patch as long as that's true. Sort of a "sealing constant", if you will. :grin:

For me, that pretty much puts it in the old nutshell. I have to confess a leaning toward ticking. Not cuzz it's better, but because our local Walmart killed off its fabric department at blow out prices, and I bought a whole new bolt of the stuff for $1 a yard.

I try lots of combos in a new gun, but if I can find one that works well using ticking I go with that.

I should further confess that I also dumped a buck a yard for a whole bolt of all-cotton flannel to use for cleaning patches. My manhood is intact, even if it's baby blue and covered with little penguins. :rotf:

George said:
SWMBO is from the delightful old English series Rumpole of the Bailey. She tried hard, with little success, to keep Rumpole on the straight and narrow.

Spence

The term goes back further than Rumpole. In H. Ryder Haggard's book, "She", the ancient goddess, Ayessa, appears. The worshippers fearing her power never mentioned her name, but in the novel, referred to her as She, Who Must Be Obeyed. Alan Quartermain had his hand full dealing with the lost treasures of the African Desert and the collapse of that kingdom.

One of the lost treasures must have been the weaving skill for tight patching material. We have to make do with a thick patch and smaller ball for reasonable performance accuracy with ease of loading.

Grenadier1758 said:
[The term goes back further than Rumpole. In H. Ryder Haggard's book, "She", the ancient goddess, Ayessa, appears. The worshippers fearing her power never mentioned her name, but in the novel, referred to her as She, Who Must Be Obeyed.
Thanks for pointing that out. 1886...I had no idea that was true, or that it was that early.

Spence

I would say that what we need is a ball+patch combination size which gives a tight enough fit to give a good seal, and it doesn't matter the individual sizes of ball or patch as long as that's true. Sort of a "sealing constant", if you will.

Amen, Bro. :bow:
I've told this story before but that never stopped me from bragging. :wink:
A couple years ago, at the Arkansas State ml championship shoot, I shot my 'half-breed' target rifle in the bench rest matches and won the 100 yard match. The rifle is a TC 'not-really-a-hawken-hawken' stock fitted with a Douglas barrel. I have shot it many years in many matches, good rifle. My favorite ball/patch combo for a long time was a .457" ball and denim patch. At one point I got tired of having to hammer my ball down the bore and switched to a .445" ball and ticking. When I arrived at the aforementioned event I found I had forgotten my balls at home. :redface: The only .45 balls any of the vendors had were Hornaday .440". That is what I used to win the 100 yard against genuine heavy barreled bench rest rifles. No doubt, that ball/patch combo gave me the right seal and rifling grip needed for good shooting. So, between me and Spence, lotsa words. But none can help unless you shoot and find out for yourself wat yer rifle gun likes best.

Skychief said:
What if the shooter is a Protestant hanshi? :idunno: :stir: :stir:

No problemo, Skychief. I once used a Juju man from Southern Louisiana to do the honors. :stir: :shocked2:

George said:
Grenadier1758 said:
The term goes back further than Rumpole. In H. Ryder Haggard's book, "She", the ancient goddess, Ayessa, appears. The worshippers fearing her power never mentioned her name, but in the novel, referred to her as She, Who Must Be Obeyed.
Thanks for pointing that out. 1886...I had no idea that was true, or that it was that early.

Spence

However, the context in which we use SWMBO is as Rumpole used in reference to his wife. Although my wife often tells me that I treat her as a goddess when I cook as she gets burned offerings every night.

At least she lets me use the washing machine to wash my patching material to get the sizing out and dry it in the dryer to full (shrink) the fabric.

Maybe Spence and AWMBO (Administrators Who Must Be Obeyed) could find a way to make the notes a sticky?

Back