• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What ball/patch generally works best?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished a Kibler colonial rifle, and wanted to find a load that shoots best in it. Was wondering what generally works best for a ball and patch combo? A .490 ball with a .018 or .020 patch? Or a .495 ball with a .015 patch? I have shot the rifle about 20 times so far with 60grs. of FFF, and a .490 ball .015 patch. I was pretty excited when the very first shot hit the 1 inch orange dot I was shooting at. I could end up burning a lot of powder trying different ball/patch combos. Didn't know if there is a general rule of thumb as to what shoots better. A smaller ball thicker patch, or a bigger ball, with a bit thinner patch? Also are the most accurate loads generally in the 60 to 75 gr range?

I prefer a tighter ball-patch combo using a .495 ball and .015-.018 patch. I'll be honest, accuracy is just slightly better than a .490 ball. I would continue to shoot what you are right now and settle on what your powder load is.

I just finished a Kibler colonial rifle, and wanted to find a load that shoots best in it. Was wondering what generally works best for a ball and patch combo? A .490 ball with a .018 or .020 patch? Or a .495 ball with a .015 patch? I have shot the rifle about 20 times so far with 60grs. of FFF, and a .490 ball .015 patch. I was pretty excited when the very first shot hit the 1 inch orange dot I was shooting at. I could end up burning a lot of powder trying different ball/patch combos. Didn't know if there is a general rule of thumb as to what shoots better. A smaller ball thicker patch, or a bigger ball, with a bit thinner patch? Also are the most accurate loads generally in the 60 to 75 gr range?
Burning a lot of powder and trying every conceivable powder/ball/patch combination is how you'll develop the most accurate load for your rifle.

There are no shortcuts.

As your barrel/bore/rifling have characteristics all their own.

Last edited:
In my Colonial rifle with Rice barrel I use 50 gr fffg powder, .495 ball and .015 patch out to 50 yards; 70 gr. at 100 yards. Match winning accuracy with this load.

What are your patches telling you?? Good accuracy depends upon good patches after the shot...Put a tarp about 15 steps in front of your muzzle and catch the patches...Now I would try both .015 and .018 with the .490 balls you have...

What are you intending to use the gun for?? When I started in the '70s, I wanted hunting accuracy and hunting power...I found a lot of muzzleloaders want target accuracy as when I went to shoots few were hunting with them and they were using light charges and very tight ball/patch combinations...I will give up some accuracy for higher powder charges...

It is hard to predict with an individual rifle what the best powder charge is for accuracy...I would say 40-60grs FFF would be more of a target loading and 65-90 more of a hunting charge for large game...In my .54 I use 80grs FFF for whitetails and have for decades...If I shot a .50 I would be happy with a charge of 70-80grs FFF for a hunting load...You will find more moderate loads are better for your patches, as you increase the powder charge you may want to include some type of buffer on top of the powder...I have used hornets nesting, felt wades, another patch, etc for this...If I had a charge of 75grs where the patch looked good after the shot and an 85gr charge where the patches were burning through, I would go with 75grs...

Finally, the lube you use on the patches can affect accuracy and the conditions of the patches as well...Some rifles are easy to dial in, some are a bit more picky...

Most all
My 50’s shoot best with a .015” patch and .490 LRB. Minimal/no swabbing with TOTW Mink Oil.
D1C871C4-B794-403E-9801-875F223C7A3D.jpeg5FEEB0B4-D162-4D95-A21A-86B50FACC0E6.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. I would like to have an accurate target load, and also something more suitable for hunting. For a target load it sounds like I need to start somewhere around 50 grs.

I like thicker patch and smaller ball, but Art's reply above is a good one, particularly since he's got the same barrel as you! 50 grains is a great starting point for target loads - shoot, I know of folks for whom 50 grains in a 50 cal is their all-around load for everything in a .50 - up and to include white tail. I shot a lot of .50 with something close to what Art's patch/ball combo and 50 grains of 3f at 50 yards seemed to have good gong ringing accuracy. for precision target and hunting I would up it to around 70 grains - I just don't seem much difference in 70 grains and 90 grains within 100 yards. One of the reasons I like the 50 grain load is because you can double it for 100-plus yard shooting, whereas you can't do that with more voluminous measures.

Personally, I like .485 ball and a really thick patch - I've got some really thick cotton duck - i don't know what it measures to but it's thick - and that loads easy and gives me the best groups. Same with my .54 (not so much for my .45). A .525 ball and that heavy duck patching gives really good groups.

Nobody knows, but you. And the only way to find out is shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Experiment. Don't take someone else's word for it. Get out in the field. Test every combination you can think of. Then tell us what you've discovered about your rifle.

I think you can have fun with the .49 balls and a patch thick enough to avoid burn through. Later you can try the .495 and thinner patches. Barrels seem roughy when new.

Hey thanks again guys for your replies. I got some good advice to start with.

Each barrel is an individual and experimenting with loads will tell you what the barrel likes. Generally I tend to use a ball ten thousandth under bore size and a .024" canvas patch. It's a little tight but I can still load it with the wood underbarrel rod. Sometimes I like a ball five thousandths under bore size which is a bit tighter but can be seated with the wood ram rod. Mostly I've hunted with a .45 and used either a .440" or a .445" ball.

I use 3F powder almost exclusively for all loads. Anywhere from 60 grains to 70 grains in .45 caliber up through 62 caliber. 70 grns works great as a general hunting load starting with the .45. The standard load for the .54 is 60 grns and super accurate. For plinking/targets under 50 yards I start at 30 grains which usually gives one hole groups at 25 yds. Even the .32 and .36 get 20 to 30 grains which is an everything load. Since I no longer hunt I really don't need powerful loads.

All my shooting is done with .005 under balls. .495, .445, .535 and .575. I use the tightest patch that I can load under field (out of the bag) conditions.

That might not be a good solution with all barrels. The ones I'm using are GM, TC, and Hoyt re-bores.

I doubt there is one combination that’s right. Nor do I believe there is a single load.
This target is the best I think I ever shot.
It was supposed to be three but I lost count.
One of our members and you tube preformed is Black Powder Maniac. He shoots a loose load. It won’t be the most accurate, but it’s easy to load and would be plenty for deer hunting and could put you in the computation for most woods walks.
You find a fifty grain charge is the best? How does that do hunting, you might want a larger charge for hunting, how’s that going to affect your shooting?
Temperature makes a difference.
If it’s eighty degrees and sunny and your .495 fits well, how will it do in thirty degrees over cast and misty
It’s a horror, a torture, a cross we must bare if we are going to be front stuffers you just have to get out and shoot
Hundred yard target ( black)
However I hunt
IMG_2895.jpeg
IMG_2478.jpeg
mostly with smoothbore at half the range (red)

In my experience every barrel is different. What kind of accuracy do you want? If you just want hunting accuracy then use what others have suggested. If you want match winning accuracy then start burning powder and start trying different combinations to find the load that your rifle really likes the best.

Back