• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Top 10 or 12 Smoothbore guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Black powder muzzleloaders. Any thoughts?

1. Matchlock musket.
2. Snaphaunce musket.

Please help. I'm writing. Thanks in advance.

-Matchlock caliver

-Spanish miquelet

-English doglock fowler, fish tail butt

-English doglock fowler, typical English butt

-Dutch club butt, non-basstard bore, barrel > 54", caliber > 66

-French fusil de boucanier

-French fusils de chasses and de trait

-Others mentioned

... and like others, I don't really comprehend the question, but that's my best guess at the lineage.

wahkahchim said:
Please help. I'm writing. Thanks in advance.

Then write something simply comprehensible.

Is this top ten, personal choice for hunting use or historical & military importance ?
O.

Thanks for the feedback. My apologies for the earlier lack of information.

My pondering is: what are the most important black powder smoothbore muzzleloaders in North American history?

Right now we seem to have:

1. Matchlock musket.
2. English lock fowler.
3. French fusil du chasse
4. British Brown Bess
5. French boucanier.
6. Spanish escopeta?
7. French Charleville 1766?

And so forth.

How great a role did the snaphaunce play?

Dutch muskets?

Trade fowler?

Once again my apologies for the brevity of my first question. Thanks for your responses.

Any other thoughts?

Number 1 would have to be the Bess, it was here the longest from the F&I era to 1812. Of course it was often in the hands of the "other" guys.

English snaphaunce important in establishing New England
Dutch trade guns important in establishing dominance of Iroquois confederacy
French fusils de trait important for establishing French empire
Type G trade gun widely important in English colonies
French fusil ordinaire important in French military operations through F&I war
Brown Bess Long Land model critical for all British empire building and defending
French Charleville musket critical for American cause Rev War.
Northwest gun critical for fur trade

How about the Thompson Center New Englander (runnin for cover now :haha: ), as it played some role in keeping tradition alive if not introducing many to it. A copy of nothing in particular, still, a fine fast handling, rugged smoothbore! :thumbsup:

Back to regular programming, Skychief

In fact one might argue the Brown Bess flintlock, is the longest in-use firearm pattern in the history of humanity. From 1728 until the American Civil War, it was a viable military arm, with the 10th Tennessee being armed with flintlock 3rd model Bess muskets when they were first formed, although many other states had 3rd model Bess which had been converted to caplock.

From the era of the American Civil War, the Bess was traded to North American Indians, Asian Indians, Afghans, Nepalese, and to Africans. The question then arises, did the Bess ever completely stop?

The surplus 3rd models on the market today, come in some cases from Nepal, where they were stored in government arsenals. Some were maintained in firing condition. I know of at least one maker of reproduction Bess muskets that can show a they made original 3rd models for the [British] East India Trading Company..., and they claim that they continued making them for the civilian market, especially for hunting, because Indians were often prohibited by the British from owning breech loading, modern firearms.

IF that's true then the Bess was still in use when the Italians, and later the Japanese, began making their reproduction pieces. The Italians continue the Bess to this day, as do several places in India.

So as a pattern, the Bess in flintlock appears to have the longest life span of any gun in history.

LD

Fascinating and true! Here in California we still find India Pattern Brown Besses which were used by the Spanish and Mexican Army until 1846, then used as ranch or camp guns for decades after.

wahkahchim said:
Smoothbore muzzleloaders in North American History

What everyone is trying to ask is could you please narrow down what exactly you're asking? Or a specific time frame? Where? What came off the Mayflower is going to be different than what was used during the AWI on the East Coast, or what Louis and Clark used on their way to the Pacific Coast, and different than what was used during The War of Northern Aggression, and once again different than the ML SxS I used for dove hunting last fall here in Texas, or even the smoothrifle I used last week for a hog, but all are in the past, and therefore "history". We can't give you good info without some kind of qualifiers and some more info from you. Are you writing a research paper, a fictional story, etc? What area and what time frame is it set in? These are all factors that will make a difference in what was in use, how common it was, or maybe what was not yet developed so would be inaccurate. So lets try again? Are you looking for a list of what was most common? Most prized? When and where? As you may have noticed, North America does stretch from Mexico on up through Canada, and each country, and even each area in those countries, had their own local preferences, which varied by time frame. So if you want an accurate answer, you will have to ask a more educated and more articulate question, preferably in a complete sentence so we understand exactly what is you're asking and trying to accomplish.

His (wahkahchim) user profile:

“I am currently writing a novel about 1588 North America.”

William

Good question!

I have finished one novel (about to be published) about a living history person in 2015. I've mostly finished a novel about 1588 Virginia. But this question was much broader. Since I was asked this question at a recent living history event, I've been pondering it: What are the top black powder smoothbore muzzleloader guns in ALL North American history? Obviously this requires a very very broad brush, but the question was legitimately asked by a visitor, and it deserves a legitimate answer. Based on what I've read, I'm thinking that this will be my response:

1 Matchlock musket
2 Snaphaunce musket
3 Dutch trade musket
4 Miquelet escopeta
5 French fusil du chasse
6 Brown Bess musket
7 Charleville musket
8 Trade musket
9 Blunderbuss
10 Double barrel percussion shotgun

Back