• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore newbie question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 50 plus years of shooting black powder guns has been primarily rifled barrels. In other words, I lack knowledge and experience shooting smoothbores. I just started a build, and already thinking ahead as to what method/methods would work best for rb accuracy. I realize a smoothie will not compare with a good rifle, but it can be deadly if tuned correctly.
So, to all my smoothie shooters out there........ In your experience what type of 20 gauge load do you like best for round ball? 1. Patched round ball? 2. Nude round ball with tow? Nude round ball with overshot card over ball? Any other combos of patching, cards, wads etc? Working combos that are accurate for you, please post.
Thanks in advance. I didn't research it, I want fresh replies
Larry 🍿

Mine shoots best with a patched ball, but naked ball and wads are not a whole lot different. Even easier are paper cartridges for field use, only one thing to carry.

You will have to settle on a preliminary formula, and look at the results. Then change one thing at a time to fine tune it, to get the results you want. You may start with a patched ball, and be done, sometimes you get lucky.
For instance:
I shoot a 54 smooth bore. What works for me is powder, thick over powder wad, lubed cushion wad, patched ball. I shoot a fairly stiff powder charge with that combination, and it is great out to 50 yards.

Depends on if you want to be "traditional" or want to make it accurate/consistent.

I ran all the usual suspects in mine, including bare .513" ball with and without under ball wads of various sorts. What worked best for me was 70-80 grains of 3Fg and a sloppy-wet patched .600 RB that's tight enough to warrant a short starter or butt of a patch knife to get past the crown. .595 would probably be a better choice for you, my bore is about .622 after I honed it. It didn't shoot a whole lot better with a fiber cushion wad under the PRB, but maybe a little, not enough better for me to bother any more with it. Your results may be very different with this, do try it all.

I used 2F in a few load combinations but it seemed more dirty and I was constantly fighting the caked fouling in the first two feet up from the breech. Some people use a .030-ish denim patch and .575 RB but all that did for me is burn holes in the patches and shoot shotgun patterns.

For shot I make paper cartridges with 1-1/8 ounce shot, half a measure that much corn meal, and 70 grains of 3Fg. 80 grains gives more power for wingshooting but patterns are a little larger.

THE most important factor to consistency that I've found with any smoothbore using a tight PRB is EXACT consistency in ball seating pressure. This is why to use a very wet patch so you don't get a crusty fouling ring right above the powder charge that messes with your seating pressure and "launch" pressure. I also found that a LOT of seating pressure is needed, more than you can do with your bare hand on the rammer. I drill a pocket in my short starter or side of patch knife handle and put that over the rammer so I can slap it very firmly with the palm of my hand to seat the ball. A range rod with a large wooden ball on the end and a muzzle protector/guide is highly recommended for range work.

In my experience patched ball is usually more accurate and a fairly tight patch little better yet but try a few different combinations in your gun and see what it likes . I use spit patch only . I use an awful lot of T-shirt material for patching , its free but pillow ticking , wash it , is a bit better ,thicker usually little more accurate . Some of these fellas on here just love their heavy loads and some guys are getting incredible , even hard to believe accuracy out of their guns , more power to them ! I'll never shoot note than 60-65 gr. through my guns . Ive never seen a need . That 300 gr. ball knocks them off their feet every time . Best of luck

Last edited:
I have a .58 kibler smoothbore and it shoots very well. My load sequence powder,corn meal thin shot card .576 bare ball and another thin shot card. Target was at 65 yards.

Attachments

• 20230205_143313.jpg
    20230205_143313.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230124_131508.jpg
    20230124_131508.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm not posting the supporting pics here,,,, I've posted them in other replies to the same questions and I just don't feel like scrolling through pics right now. I'm sorry, not trying to be rude, just honest and explaining why I'm not following my own usual guideline. (Too many "xxx recipe has always worked great for me and everything else sucks and is a waste of time," posts all over these forums,,,, with no indication of what the standard is)

Both my 20 gauge smoothbores defy the rifle "rule" of tighter is better.
A looser patched ball shoots better than a tight one in both. For the smoothrifle that would be a .595 ball and .010 patch. But, a ball in a wad sandwich shoots even better. 65 or 80 grains 3f powder, thin card, lubed felt wad or ball of lubed tow, .610 ball, lastly another thin card or two to hold the whole mess in.
The Fusil des Chase doesn't like anything hard or stiff between powder and ball. The same recipe as above works well with a dry felt wad between powder and lubed wadding. She also seems to do well with a bit less powder, 75 grains of 2f shoots up to standard and isn't as punishing in this much lighter gun. Still doesn't shoot quite as well as the smoothrifle, but close.

I'm expecting 3 to 4 inch groups off the bench at 50 yards. I start at 25 yards, if a load isn't shooting 2 to 3 inch groups off the bench at 25, I don't waste resources testing at 50.

Everyone and every gun has its own funny little likes a and peeves. Took me 12 months of tinkering to find a load mine likes.

For me 90gn Swiss 2F fb lubed felt wad fb bare 0.600 ball fb lubed patch rammed on top well. Shot a fox with that load at 40 yards couple weeks back.

Latest posts

Back