• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The end of the season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paul,

thanks for the explanation. As I told above the Whitetails behave very similar to our roedeer. They are only bigger.
Thanks for the link to this magazin. :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Only rarely will a young "button buck" be allowed to stay with the women into the Winter. As soon as he develops and begins producing Testosterone, he is kicked out of the fold. Then he wanders around looking for company and finds his way to a group of other bachelors.

Thats not exactly been my observations here. I usually see the button bucks here by themselves or with sister for a short time, while Momma's being bred, then they all get back together as a family unit and I see this right into March. It's around then, just before new fawns come into the picture that Momma shoos them away.

Here in Central Illinois, and South, we have fawns born from late March to August. You can find button bucks still running with their does until late spring when they were born late in the summer. I too have seen that. And you are correct: does will push out all the young from the year before when they are about to deliver a new fawn, Both girls and boys.

The good thing about doe fawns not breeding is that by the time the next "season "(rut) comes along, they are much larger, and healthier, and better developed. The year old does will often give birth to twins that first time, a half year later, rather than to a single fawn.

And, both fawns will be nursed properly and be healthy, where a doe bred too early often gives birth to a weak fawn, and may not lactate enough to feed the new fawn. Then, you have a weak doe, and usually a dead fawn. She becomes more susceptible to predators in her weakened condition.

Back