• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The .58cal Early Virginia spoke twice today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely...have 1 buck and 3 Doe tags on my license...and now that I have a family that will take them I definitely plan to go some more.

What I really wanted to do this fall was christen the new .62cal Virginia, but the night before the ML opener (a week ago) as I was getting it ready to go for the next morning, the full cock notch on the deluxe siler broke...had to fall back to the .58cal.
Sent the lock back to Jim Chambers, he's repaired it under warranty and its on its way back to me...should get here today or Monday, then I'll hunt that .62cal on vacation next week.

roundball said:
Definitely...have 1 buck and 3 Doe tags on my license...and now that I have a family that will take them I definitely plan to go some more.

What I really wanted to do this fall was christen the new .62cal Virginia, but the night before the ML opener (a week ago) as I was getting it ready to go for the next morning, the full cock notch on the deluxe siler broke...had to fall back to the .58cal.
Sent the lock back to Jim Chambers, he's repaired it under warranty and its on its way back to me...should get here today or Monday, then I'll hunt that .62cal on vacation next week.

I'm looking forward to the results of your .62 hunt. What load did you settle on?

Trench said:
"... .62 hunt..."
What load did you settle on?

The .62cal is surprisingly accurate with it's Full Jug Choke by Caywood.
I zeroed it at 50yds for my woods hunting, and sighted it in while sitting down leaning against a post at the range to simulate hunting leaning against a tree.

110grs Goex 2F, Oxyoke .022" patch, .600" cast ball

(Note: Oxyoke's plain .020" patches actually mic .022".....but their pillow ticking runs true to its package label, ie: a pillow ticking .018" mics .018".
But the plain ones run .022" when labeled .020", at least in the two 50-60cal and 60-70cal diameter sizes that I use for the .58 & .62cals)

081810Re-CheckZero50yds.jpg

Nice story, sounds like the buck found his mate too late! :grin:

Glad someone will be appreciating your efforts!

Nice deer! And nice rifle! But the best thing of all is what you did for that family down the road. :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

There's nothin' better than carryin' a long rifle into the woods. Great shooting, good heart!!

:thumbsup: Someone is going to have some good deer meat for supper. Make that many suppers. Congrats. Bill

Just some info...been using natural ground blinds for several years now except in one spot where I also have this ladder stand...situated in some evergreen holly trees on the side edge of the oak flat...its 100yds wide, a few hundred yards long, still has acorns on the ground.

Reason for the ladder just 20 feet from the natural blind is that the wind can flip around every couple hours on this high flat oak ridge, and when that happens I scramble up 15 feet.
Was using this ladder stand for the couple deer I got Friday...going to try it again this afternoon.
The other 3 pics are the views from the stand...left front, front, and right.

LadderStandPic2CroppedDarkened.jpg

2LeftFront.jpg

3Front.jpg

4Right.jpg

nice looking settup and layout hardwoods are nice and open with a good view.

Maskinongehunt2010022.jpg

in the pines your forever lookin' around for an open shootin' lane

Mike Brines said:
"...Make smoke..."
To me, there's nothing better than hunting with a Flintlock :grin:
The .58cal is now 150% thoroughly cleaned / dried / lubed showroom ready and cased till next year.

Now that the deluxe siler has been repaired on the .62cal its all I plan to use the rest of this year and right on through spring Turkey season...should get to know it well that way.

Latest posts

Back