• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanksgiving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colorado Clyde said:
Can anyone show me a 1621 reference listing "turkeys" on the menu?.....I won't hold my breath....

I would also like a 16th century definition of fowl..

Early journals list many swans on the menu...
The one period account only says four men were sent 'fowling' and the Native guests brought 4 deer...looks like it was venison and assorted flying critters! :wink: Depending on the fowlers, it may have been seagulls! :rotf:

Colorado Clyde said:
Putintinism was full of life and joy.

What?! :shocked2:

It was not the dark doom and gloom so often pictured. They had tight laws, what looks in retrospect to be restrictive made a great deal of economic and social sense.
At that time all people in the world believed in witch’s and the devil as a personal and community threat. Riding the community of a witch or of a rabid dog made equal sense.
They didn’t want to practice paganism masked as Christianity, so they outlawed pagan based holidays and trappings, but that does not mean they were dower.
They fled the Netherlands because they didn’t want their children to become Dutch, they fled England to build a city on the hill. They did not flee life. We can well compare them to modern Amish or Mennonites, they find joy in life because they feel it is the duty of Christians to find joy as much as hard work.

Prior to the Columbian exchange there were no turkeys in Europe....So Europeans new not what a turkey was or tasted like....

They did have, and did eat Swans....They were the most prized fowl in the European food markets.

Imagine the excitement when early colonists came to America and saw Swans everywhere..... :hmm:

Prior to 1492 & likely for THOUSANDS years before that. - There are turkey bones in archeological digs of Pre-Columbian NA sites in the SW.
(Btw, Rio Grande Turkeys are NATIVE to Texas, according to the game biologists of TP&WD.)

Otoh, I have no idea when domesticated turkeys were introduced to Europe and/or into what is now the USA.

yours, satx

Dyslexia, typing on a phone , fat thumbs,and a spell check that can make some weird corrections all conspire against me. Oh well the crosses we must bear :wink:

The Puritans were super conservative and were beginning to irritate the less conservative protestants. who began to persecute the conservatives who moved to the Netherlands where there were persecuted some more. so they came over to New England where they were free to persecute the folks who weren't as conservative as they were..

Persecuting other folks was all the rage in those days.
Today we have basketball.

Dutch

Dutch Schoultz said:
Today we have basketball

Lordy Mercy, Dutch, your eyesight may be failing but your wit is as sharp as ever and is priceless.

Dutch Schoultz said:
Today we have basketball

Lordy Mercy, Dutch, your eyesight may be failing but your wit is as sharp as ever and is priceless.
:rotf:

Dutch Schoultz said:

Dutch
Not up on current events.... Aye Dutch?

It's still all the rage....Muslim bans, ethnic cleansing, transgender bans, border walls.....The list goes on and on.....

Colorado Clyde said:
That meal may well have included turkey,

Can anyone show me a 1621 reference listing "turkeys" on the menu?.....I won't hold my breath....

My reference to turkeys which you quoted above, was for the Rio Grande Thanksgiving, suggested by SATX. I have period reference (Luxan) to domestic turkeys along the Rio Grande from 1581-82. They were frequently listed as being on the menu at that location and at that time; which has nothing to do with pilgrims at Plymouth, of course.

Native Arizonan said:
My reference to turkeys which you quoted above, was for the Rio Grande Thanksgiving, suggested by SATX. I have period reference (Luxan) to domestic turkeys along the Rio Grande from 1581-82. They were frequently listed as being on the menu at that location and at that time; which has nothing to do with pilgrims at Plymouth, of course.
Fake history complete with 21st century articles and artists....
Do you have a 16th century source?

In 1550, the English navigator William Strickland, who had introduced the turkey into England , was granted a coat of arms including a "turkey-cock in his pride proper"

http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/facts-and-figures/turkey-history-and-other-facts.html

Colorado Clyde said:
Dutch Schoultz said:

Dutch
Not up on current events.... Aye Dutch?

It's still all the rage....Muslim bans, ethnic cleansing, transgender bans, border walls.....The list goes on and on.....

I have to say I would rather spend a year in a monestary that lives the worse vision on st Benedict’s rule then have to sit through basketball game.

Turkeys were domesticated in Mexico and were kept by southwestern people across the area between the Colorado and rio grande rivers. They were known in late Mississippian civilization also. I’m pretty sure turkey would be on any southwestern feast menu.

IF he offers a 16th source will you accept that as FACT??
(LOTS of false/mistakes of fact writings have been done in every era.)

yours, satx

tenngun said:
Turkeys were domesticated in Mexico and were kept by southwestern people across the area between the Colorado and rio grande rivers. They were known in late Mississippian civilization also. I’m pretty sure turkey would be on any southwestern feast menu.
I'm not disputing turkeys....

Back