• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanksgiving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like any dish there are as many recipes as there are cooks. The easiest is to show the videos. This is the real long way using both tripe and 'trotters'. Not all recipes use feet with the tripe. Her choice of chiles is good, I usually go ancho, arbol and New Mexican reds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_HwVOeY8hc

This one uses New Mexican reds like I prefer and is a bit quicker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLNDEwY6x9U

If you're pressed for time or it's hard to find all the ingredients, this one is not really terrible! :wink: He gets his taste from all the chiles in what he calls the 'enchilada sauce' that he adds rather than the traditional pepper puree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uz98XY1v44

It might prove useful for your location. I will always recommend using real ground Mexican comino seeds rather than the ground cumin you find in the stores. That alone can make a real difference in your cooking. Good luck.

With the expansion of the Mexican population across the country has drug along Mexican produce and ingredients with it...something I don't consider bad at all! :wink: :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that you are correct that harvest festivals have been held for many centuries.

Nonetheless, the first known Thanksgiving in what now the USA was held in what is now El Paso County, TX & included priests, Spanish soldiers and numerous local NAs.
(The celebration was 3 days long & grew in size as more people learned of it & brought more food/beverages.)

yours, satx

I just saw a story on the news about a British Christmas pizza :shocked2:
Traditional meals are only traditional the second time you eat it. I think Bobby Burns summed up thanks giving in his haggis prayer.

Christmas PIZZA????

I'm not at all sure what you meant by your second sentence. - Would you care to elaborate??

Btw, what was "traditional" at our home for Thanksgiving, as long as our daughter lived at home, was BBQ pork ribs, as neither of the 2 resident ladies wanted/liked turkey/dressing.
(For the selfsame reason, STEAKS were "traditional" in our household at Christmas.)

I enjoyed both "traditions", as I usually "got stuck with" cooking dinner on holidays & I can fix steaks/BBQ ribs "with my eyes shut".= Those 2 dishes are about the easiest things that I know how to fix.

your5s, satx

satx78247 said:
Christmas PIZZA????

I'm not at all sure what you meant by your second sentence. - Would you care to elaborate??

Btw, what was "traditional" at our home for Thanksgiving, as long as our daughter lived at home, was BBQ pork ribs, as neither of the 2 resident ladies wanted/liked turkey/dressing.
(For the selfsame reason, STEAKS were "traditional" in our household at Christmas.)

I enjoyed both "traditions", as I usually "got stuck with" cooking dinner on holidays & I can fix steaks/BBQ ribs "with my eyes shut".= Those 2 dishes are about the easiest things that I know how to fix.

your5s, satx

WHAAAAT! No tamales at Christmas???? :confused: How can this happen in a Texan's home? :hmm: :idunno: It has been a long standing tradition in our home to serve tamales at Christmas along with all of the other traditional dishes. Tamales at Christmas are a MUST. :thumbsup:

Fwiw, tamales from B&B in Southside SA are a MUST for EVERY holiday dinner. = I've already put in my order for ours & 12 dozen more for Christmas presents.
(Eva, my "sister of the heart" in NJ, wouldn't speak to me for I don't know how long if I didn't send her tamales each DEC.)

ImVho, B&B has the BEST tamales in a city that is well-known for great Tex-Mex.

Btw, the correct/official spelling is "TEXICAN", since a law was passed in 1837 by the RoT Congress.
(The author of the law said that "Texican" rhymed with more words than "Texan". = Other than Mexican & lexicon, can you think of any such words??)

Our Texican politicians have forever been "just a bit peculiar".
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Billnpatti
SATX 78247
STOP SHOWING OFF

Some of us cannot find Tamales such as those mentioned, at any time, due to current geography. OH there is a place but the lines are huge..., as is the demand, and the ladies who make them can only make so many....,

LD

When I hear Christmas pizza I think of Cranberries on their. Looke dup the BBC "Christmas pizza" its just leftover Turkey dinner scraps.
I had a quick flash of Fruit pudding covered over a pizza dough with lots of cheese, but that though cleared up quick :D lol

I would suppose that one of us Texicans would ship you tamales, if you asked.

To paraphrase a saying: Those who ask not, neither will they receive.

yours, satx

...or tote blunderbusses but did drink beer! Guess they weren't total prudes! :shocked2: :haha: :wink:

Seeing they had to rein in a few rowdy drinkers and one good wife complained to the pastor and congregation that the old man wasn't 'ringing her bell' enough that they ended up excommunicating him, would seem to point to a bit of merriment and mayhem amongst the flock! :haha: One of them even left the comment, "...the Christian gospel was good, merry glad and joyful tidings, that maketh a man's heart glad, and maketh him sing, and dance and leap for joy". Not too prudish I'd say! :wink:

Only about half were religious, and their religion was not the unhappy hymn singing otherworldly boars protrayed by Hollywood. Putintinism was full of life and joy. They had restrictive ideas but they were not the prudes they are often prorated as.
The Christmas pizza was an offering from a London pizza joint. Some one made the first Christmas pudding, or fruit cake.

satx78247 said:
I'm sure that you are correct that harvest festivals have been held for many centuries.

Nonetheless, the first known Thanksgiving in what now the USA was held in what is now El Paso County, TX & included priests, Spanish soldiers and numerous local NAs.
(The celebration was 3 days long & grew in size as more people learned of it & brought more food/beverages.)

yours, satx

That meal may well have included turkey, as I have several references to domestic turkeys being raised by the pueblo natives along the Rio Grande. They reportedly had barns with 100 turkeys to the barn and the turkeys were herded out to pasture on the mountains. This was before sheep or cattle were introduced.

That meal may well have included turkey,

Can anyone show me a 1621 reference listing "turkeys" on the menu?.....I won't hold my breath....

I would also like a 16th century definition of fowl..

Early journals list many swans on the menu...

WILD TURKEYS were COMMON in those days in south TX, so that's another possibility, too.

Fwiw, in 1986, during The TX Sesquicentennial Wagon Train, I counted 26 Rio Grande (wild) Turkeys strolling down a dirt road down there, as if they were "on parade". = They seemed "singularly unimpressed" with my presence, too.

yours, satx

Back