• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC 58's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogmann

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Folks! New guy here!....

I just purchased a Renegade 58 and a TC Big bore 58. Both percussion. Besides lead round balls - what else is out there in the way of ammo choices? I can't find the TC maxi's anymore ! Also. Who here has a 58 and how do you like it?

I've got a TC custom shop Hawken 58 NIB,haven't done anything but wipe the drool marks off it :wink: also have a 58 Investarms Hawken it is awsome with 110gr of Goex Ffg and a hand cast .562 PRB doesn't kick too bad @ all and is very accurate,don't see the need for a conical with that ole large RB YMMV however :thumbsup:

Dogmann said:
Hi Folks! New guy here!....

I just purchased a Renegade 58 and a TC Big bore 58. Both percussion. Besides lead round balls - what else is out there in the way of ammo choices? I can't find the TC maxi's anymore ! Also. Who here has a 58 and how do you like it?
Lucky man! I would like to find either of those to add to my arsenal. I shot some .58 maxi's through one of my rifles ONCE and I didn't like the recoil. Go to accuratemolds.com if your interested in having a .58 maxi mold made, they can do it.

BPS

Last edited by a moderator:
Dixie gun works sells some 470 gr. .58 minie balls. They've got a big hollow base and thin skirts. I had good luck shooting them with 60 gr. of RS. Accuracy was excellent.

As long as I stayed at 60 gr, accuracy was phenomenal. However, I had to up the charge to see what would happen. Accuracy quickly disappeared and the barrel leaded up pretty bad. 70 and 80 grain loads were too much.

If you try 'em, lube 'em with Crisco or the like and keep the powder charge light.

In TC I have a couple of the Big Boars, along with a Hawken mounting a 58 cal GM drop-in barrel and another Hawken with a custom 24" tapered barrel in 58. Then there are my Investarm and GRRW Hawken 58's. Yeah, I like 58 cal!

The herd is kinda thinning on conicals available, but you might still run across TC Maxis and Maxi Hunters on shelves. Same for Hornady Great Plains. Buffalo made them at one time, and I see Track of the Wolf is listing them again.

Then there are the various minies, some of which you can buy cast and some you have to cast yourself. The LEE Improved minie has worked better than all the rest for me, with charges around 80-90 grains being most accurate and packing quite a bit more punch that traditional minies over their max of around 60 grains.

Lyman makes several molds for minies, but I'd go straight to the oversize LEE Improved. LEE also makes a REAL mold which works well, provided you put a lubed felt wad between it and the powder.

Best lube I've found for all of them is LEE Liquid Alox. Dip them twice and you're set with no mess like all the soft lubes.

LEE makes round ball molds in .562 and .575, but you have go to Lyman or someone else to get a .570 mold.

And yeah, you can flat light up your life with heavy charges under a heavy conical! I've never taken game with conicals in mine, but they're sure fun to shoot.

I just got a lyman 575602 40g Minie in the mail today.it should be kinder on my shoulder than the "full size" ones.it has a nice flat semi WC type nose and would appear to be a good game bullet.it casts right at .575 out of PB.My newly acquired Bernardelli 1841 Mississippi appears to like bigger bullets. I may have the bands opened to .578-.580 if it doesn't shoot.

(pay no attention to the wrinkles its the 5th cast from an "on the pot" heated mold With a cold base plug.)

George
PICT1751.jpg

LOL, I'm still trying to figure why, when you get to 58, you might need more lead? :hmm:

I've got a 32" GM 58 on my TC Hawken, I thought 54 was enough til I shot it. Doesn't seem to matter what you feed it, always hits the black...and always with authority.

Latest posts

Back