• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tarnished round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG6018

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know I saw this somewhere on a recent thread, but I can't seem to locate it now. How do you clean (remove) the white chalky substance from round balls that have been in the loading block for quite a spell? Effective solutions are much apprecitated. '76Patriot ::

Pass them through deer hair or a sheet of paper at about 1,700 fps and they'll clean right up!

riflemanthumb.gif

That's lead oxide formed on the surface from contact with the air. It's harmless. Anything you do will likely make the situation worse by reducing the diameter or the ball.

Just shoot the ball through a redcoat, if the ball dont kill him the posion just might.

Put them in a media tumbler - if you happen to reload centerfire ammo, then I'm sure you have one to clean rifle/pistol brass.

Back