• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto :thumbsup: Don't forget breathing control too.

Something else to consider is fatigue. The eye will get tired if you stay on the sights for too long. If you feel a bit anxious from being on the sights too long, look down or away for a few moments and give the eye a chance to rest. Also your body position/ form is important to keep the blood flowing to the head.

A few more things to take into account, but it might help with being able to see the target better. :hmm:

necchi said:
Mooman76 said:
You should be focusing on your front sight and centering it on the target which is not in focus.
I disagree, I have always focused on the target whether I'm shooting at an "X" or a Deer's heart. My eyes and focus are always on where that ball will hit down range.

That's just wrong necchi. Front sight, front sight, front sight! :grin:

US Palma used to have a free download that was my favorite - a black diamond with white center. Here is a site that has it as a free downloadable .zip file (with others). Medium Range Diamond (4"). At 50 yards I sight it with the tip of the diamond on my front sight and the group in the center of the white diamond. Then I'm zeroed at about 85 yards and can get away with a low/center lung shot on deer to 100 yards - my outer limit.
http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

I shoot traditional archery and it's all about focusing on the target. That's the way I shoot my smoothbore (ball or shot) as well.

With iron sights: front sight, front sight, front sight. Happily even with my Varilux lenses I can get a suitable sight picture where I see the sight well and the deer/target also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet targets,The only "problem" I have with them is the bright/Dayglo orange color..In my Hunter Safety Course we teach never shoot at anything Dayglo Orange,,hunters are required to wear Dayglo Orange during hunting season!!Other than that,, good target..

Stumpkiller said:
.... I shoot traditional archery and it's all about focusing on the target. That's the way I shoot my smoothbore (ball or shot) as well. .....

Ah Ha! Instinctive shooting (point shooting) is a horse of a different color, where one does not really see the sights at all. It takes a lot of shooting to develop that skill.

Have you ever seen Bob Munden shooting coins in the air? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ_fPY7axmU

I took a small file and opened the width of the rear sight slightly. Seemed to help me.

Latest posts

Back