• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Traps & Target Stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished up building a couple of bullet traps at 25 and 50 yards on my range. After years of slinging lead into the dirt I figured it was about time to try and salvage some. Used dead red cedar on both bases, then dead fall pine logs stacked staggered. Heavy gauge T post tensioned with romex wire. I have a fair size roll of white plastic, don’t remember where it came from, but I’ll use it to cover the front of each trap to tape targets on. Also cut some saplings and built a sturdy target stand to hang steel targets on. Now I’ve got to clean up the steel plates, weld on a few chain links, then hang and paint. Probably put 5 on the new rack and add a few more targets to my woods walk course. If these traps work ok I’ll build one at 100 yards too. But not today, I’m tired now.

Attachments

• IMG_3287.jpeg
    IMG_3287.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3290.jpeg
    IMG_3290.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3293.jpeg
    IMG_3293.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3294.jpeg
    IMG_3294.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Finished up building a couple of bullet traps at 25 and 50 yards on my range. After years of slinging lead into the dirt I figured it was about time to try and salvage some. Used dead red cedar on both bases, then dead fall pine logs stacked staggered. Heavy gauge T post tensioned with romex wire. I have a fair size roll of white plastic, don’t remember where it came from, but I’ll use it to cover the front of each trap to tape targets on. Also cut some saplings and built a sturdy target stand to hang steel targets on. Now I’ve got to clean up the steel plates, weld on a few chain links, then hang and paint. Probably put 5 on the new rack and add a few more targets to my woods walk course. If these traps work ok I’ll build one at 100 yards too. But not today, I’m tired now.
Wowser, Nicely done there TDM. I’m impressed!

Got the steel plates cleaned up. Instead of welding the chain link on I cut the holes with my plasma cutter and bolted them on. It was a faster method and better than my mediocre welding skills. Got them hung, reasonably even, and painted. Now comes the shop cleanup and putting everything away!

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpeg
    IMG_3298.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
After resting up a bit I did go back with a template and added a red bullseye. Now they look the same as my woods walk targets. Figured I better put the paint on before it gets cold again and the cold is coming now. Almost got them all centered too. Oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_3300.jpeg
    IMG_3300.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
After resting up a bit I did go back with a template and added a red bullseye. Now they look the same as my woods walk targets. Figured I better put the paint on before it gets cold again and the cold is coming now. Almost got them all centered too. Oh well.
Now ya got to mess up that paint job!!!

Very nice TDM. I am trying to do something similar in my woods.

Will the metal swingers go in front of the log backstops, or two different systems?

Very nice TDM. I am trying to do something similar in my woods.

Will the metal swingers go in front of the log backstops, or two different systems?
Thanks. They’re separate systems. I put the bullet stops where my original target stands were. So paper targets can be taped/stapled to the wood. The metal targets are for offhand and pistols/revolvers. But the metal target rack can be moved easily with 2 people.

Got the steel plates cleaned up. Instead of welding the chain link on I cut the holes with my plasma cutter and bolted them on. It was a faster method and better than my mediocre welding skills. Got them hung, reasonably even, and painted. Now comes the shop cleanup and putting everything away!
I know the feeling, I've been at the " time to clean the shop and put things away" stage for 30 years :doh:

I have a leap frog project problem lol.

I live in South Texas and found a couple of sycamore logs on the side of the road about a half my from my entrance. I picked them up and milled them and found some beautiful wood inside.
Ya, it makes some beautiful furniture, not so good for burning.

Latest posts

Back