• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target shooting. Roundball .440 vs .445

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 45 caliber Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken rifle. Thru trial and error, I have gotten the best accuracy, target shooting, with a .445 round ball, .012 patch, and 40 grains of Goex FFF.

I recently purchased a 45 DGW flintlock and hope it likes the same 445 balls i shoot now. I have 440 as well to try. My trial will be my Green Mountain barrel for comparison.

A lead ball will expand to fill the grooves.
Will a lead ball expand to fill the grooves? I thought that’s what our patches were for. I’ve never seen rifling marks on any of the roundballs I’ve recovered.
I shoot both .440 and .445 in my .45 with no discernible difference in accuracy. I suspect that has as much to do with my marksmanship (or lack thereof) as with the fit of the balls.
Jay

Could mean the patch material is weak and of low quality. Not performing it's function.
That was the problem when I was testing the 50 cal Charlie Caywood SMR. Very old .010 Wonder Lube patches, that disintegrated with a 490 RB. Have I said how much I dislike Wonder lube? I switched to .010 cotton patches and Stumpy's Moose juice lube, a world of difference in accuracy but still trying other things.

Here's my initial calculations for determining the patch thickness for a given round ball and barrel.

The original poster for my reply had a rifle with a bore of 0.451" diameter land-to-land.
Let's take that 0.451" bore and look at fitting that 0.445" ball. We have (0.451-0.445) 0.006"/2 or 0.003" of windage between the ball and the lands. If the patch material is 0.012" compressed or 0.018" uncompressed. we have two thicknesses of patching that go between the ball and the bottom of the groove or 0.445 + 0.018*2 (Ball and patch of 0.481" before compression into the barrel). The patch material is going to displace some of the soft lead ball as the patch is compressed in the 0.003" between the lands and the ball. If the grooves are 0.010" deep, the 0.018" patch is getting compressed to 0.013". That's enough compression to lightly impress the patch groove location onto the ball and with patch lubrication effectively seal the barrel. Well, never perfectly, but adequately. Yes, it takes a good sharp rap with the short starter to get the ball and patch into the muzzle. Once the lead ball is impressed into the patch at the lands and in the groove, the ramrod can push the ball and patch to the breech.

I have consistently had good results with using the cotton drill #40 from JoAnn's Fabrics (0.018" thick uncompressed and 0.014" compressed). Yes, I have heard that JoAnn's Fabrics has applied for bankruptcy. So far they are planning to remain in operation while they reorganize.

Back