• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .54 Super Score!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioHunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last week UPS dropped off a .54 cal TC New Englander I won on GunBroker. I immediately checked the barrel and found it was completely rusted out and not shootable. After talking with the dealer I bought it from, he agreed to take it back and refund my money. I was pretty disappointed because I had been looking forward sighting the rifle in and using it for Ohio deer gun season.
So, I was in Cincinnati on business earlier this week and hunting small talk with one of the locals turned into a Mega Thompson Center Score! After talking about the rusted out New Englander I received, the the fellow hunter I was talking to tells me he has a TC Renegade and a TC Hawken both in .54 that he hasn't shot in ages and could be mine for the right price. I picked both of them up for $325.00 this morning. The Renegade is unfired in new condition and Hawken has been fire but is in great condition. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!!! Any recommendations on load and bullet for whitetail deer within 100 yds?

Sure, a .530 ball wraped in .018 pillow ticking on top of 80 to 100 gr of 2F or 3F black powder will do you just fine for whitetails, just shoot different powder charges to see which your gun really likes. :thumbsup:

My 54 TC Hawken rifle likes the Hornady great plains 390 grain bullet with a felt wad over powder. CCI #11 mag caps and plenty of Triple Seven 2F. It has also shot some good groups with a Hornady .530 round ball and 15 thousands wonder lube ox yoke orginal patch. The great plains bullet is a good bullet on deer.

Mike Brines said:
The Great Plains will kill just about anything in a .54.

:thumbsup:

Pretty hard to hold one inside a animal. They are like a bunker buster, they go through both sides.

that .54 prb starts out at what others hope to expand to. if that isn't enough, my renegade liked buffalo bullets and a stout charge of 2f (100 gr. sticks in memory?) please check before using any load. thanks

OhioHunter,Some of the descriptions for the guns on Gunbroker crack me up.There was a Renegade on there last week that the seller[a dealer]said he would rate as excellent.Good thing is he had plenty of pics and it was a POS.It had rust around the nipple,bare metal on the barrel many scratches etc.I would not even rated it fair.Sad thing is it brought as much as some of the mint guns I've seen on that site.Guess people don't care if sellers lie about condition or like em beat up LOL!Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks for all the load and bullet suggestions. I got 2 boxes of Hornady Great Plains 425 grain bullets, a box of Hornady .530 round ball, and a tin of Goex ffg. I cant wait to sight the Renegade in on Friday!

Yes I agree with the GB thing as well as other auction sites,some of(not all)the sellers on there are unreal....I once sent a question to a seller on GB asking about the bore of a muzzleloader he had for sale....his answer was he didnt know and I should"stick to buying from brick and mortar stores" lol

Kaintuckee,You are lucky they even responded to you! That's another pet peeve of mine about the gun auctions 3/4 that I ask questions don't get back to me.Another is people bidding on beat-up TC's like they are a rare 100 year old antiqueLOL.

Latest posts

Back