• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamping GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamick

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a flint GPR 50 cal. last fall in a kit. Nice rifle, shoots well ,decent lock time after drilling touch hole. My problem is that I don't like the weight at the front end . Now for my question. Has anyone out there ever swamped 7 of the flats on a half stock to reduce and shift the weight to the rear of a rifle? If so how much weight can I hope to eliminate? I've been taking the stock down in stages to help reduce some weight about the only thing left is to work on the barrel and hard :hmm:ware. Thanks in advance.

By taking material of of one side and not the other I think that the barrel would warp.If it didn't warp from the filing is shurely would when fired from one side expanding faster trhan the other.The best answer might be a new gun :) :)Not such a bad thing!!!
Mitch

One would be better off tapering the barrel, which is a lot of work and you need to know what you are doing, and keep in mind minimal barrel wall thickness, adding lead to the inside of the buttstock may offer a balance compromise with less effort.

The GPR is not a heavy rifle, with 15/16 by 32" barrel, it would have been considered a "feather-weight" among original plains rifles which commonly used barrels of 1 1/16 or 1 1/8" by 36" or more. If you shoot half as much as you should, you will soon get used to the light weight of the GPR and will find that muzzle heavy hang to be a great help in offhand shooting. Then you may be ready to graduate to a man's rifle. :crackup: :crackup:

Try adding about 1/4 pound of lead to the butt of the stock under the buttplate. You can drill a few 1/2 dia holes about 2 inched deep and fill them with melted solder.

As for the weight of the GPR, yes it is not as heavy as the real Hawkens or similar rifles, but folks should remember, the Mountain Men didn't carry their rifles great distances. Their horses carried their rifles (and the Mountain Men) great distances.

As for "graduating to a mans rifle", does this mean my new .54 caliber 6 3/4 pound Flintlock is only good for kids???
cangun10.jpg

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: ::

As for "graduating to a mans rifle", does this mean my new .54 caliber 6 3/4 pound Flintlock is only good for kids???

Zonnie yep and you can send it to this kid and I promise to clean it well after every shooting session too. I'll even pay the freight too. :haha:

A .54 for My 54th b/day now that is might nice of you to think of me. :hmm:

Woody

AGM: To be blunt, it is not worth the trouble. You would have to have it cut on a milling machine on all sides to keep the barrel straight, then make a new stock & ec. Tapering it would suffice better & then again, we go to a new stock & reworking the underrib & etc. Way more work & expense than the rifle is worthy of. Altho I really like the GPR for what it is, it is what it is, a Hawken styled rifle & supposed to have a heavy muzzle.... If you don't like the muzzle weight of the GPR you need to find something in a different type rifle & most likely a swamped or tapered barrel to shift the weight back toward your shoulders.
I suggest buying a Isaac Haines style or similar Lancaster rifle with a B50 in 38" swamped barrel & this will balance Much better & more to what you are indicating you want. Weight is about the same as the GPR but the balance is like comparing a canoe paddle to a boat oar.

:imo:

In a moment of foolishness (that lasted for weeks) I took a 8" length of 1 1 /8" barrel stock and file tapered it down for a pistol barrel. Damn sure broke me of the habit of contemplating such doings.

Back