• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight Groove Rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ricky,
Others have alluded to this but there was a fashion during the late 18th and early 19th centuries in Britain for fowling guns with straight rifling grooves. You were supposed to use shot of a size that fit into the grooves and the effect was tighter patterns at longer ranges. According to Keith Neal, who owned and shot several of these guns, the method worked. However, you had to clean the barrel after several shots to keep the patterns consistent. Straight grooves were cut for other reasons described by several of the other posters but this was one application.

dave
I'm reminded of paradox rifling as well when the subject of straight rifling comes up. I don't know if paradox rifling imparted twist or was straight though.
Paradox rifling was supposed to only be in the last portion of the barrel near the muzzle sort of like choke,with smooth bore in front of it if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the conformation on that. I have often wondered how well it would work as my thinking is that the bullet would probably skid on the helex angle after getting a full head of steam up barrel before encountering the twist at the muzzle.
It does t appear to be much of a twist rate, very slow.

Back