• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing lead conical and round bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxygen absorbers work when the package contents contain moisture (like packaged food, for example). Those packets are simply powdered iron and salt-- the moisture kick-starts the rusting process that consumes whatever oxygen is inside.

I've been using the old food saver bags. I clean them out and spray the bullet materials with baracade and re-vacuum seal the bullets in them.
.50cal in bag.jpg

Unless it turns to chalky residue i am not bothered by the discoloring. Doesnt change the weight or diameter enough to effect the balls flight

I would wonder what you are casting, (alloy composition) makes me wonder if there isn't a more reactive metal in the mix..
I cast pure linotype for my Whitworth and smokeless bullet needs. Lots of the time the bullets display a slight purplish tinge when cool.
The white crud that forms on bullets not in the ground is lead oxide. I have some pure lead bullets cast in 1982 and in a cased set that are a nice white color looking very period. White bullets pulled out of the ground after years have formed a coating of lead carbonate. I'm also a dedicated metal detecting civil war relic hunter and know my lead. Lead carbonate forms a hard slick shiny surface while lead oxide is quite soft and easily removed. Civil War splatted bullet fragments and lead from melted bullets recovered from campfires go in my lead pot for use again, recycling at it's best.

Over the years I found that the best material to store Lead Projectiles is Plastic Bags and Plastic Jars.

Placing Lead projectiles in Tin/ Steel Containers/Can does cause a negative chemical reaction which causes Rust to form inside of a non coated Tin/Steel can.

I have made a video on testing durable High impact Plastic Containers for storing my Universal Bullets check it out on my You Tube channel.

Back