• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring garden

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kansas Jake said:
We don't have many goat heads where I live now, but I grew up in south central Nebraska and they were the bane of going barefoot and bicycle tires when I was a kid.

Totally OT, Tallswife, but if you have knee replacement, make sure the surgeon uses the correct size joint. I know of a couple of folks who had a joint done that was probably not the correct size and it has created issues with stability and balance.

Thanks KansasJake! This will be my second replacement, and my Doc only does knees. His practice has a roving rodeo treatment center and they take care of all of those guys. He teaches other docs how to do knees! He did great on my first one, so I'm not too worried about the second.

And yes goat heads are EVIL!!!

I'm thinking about sticking some pod pea seed in the ground in the next week. It may be too early, but I suspect we will have an early spring as mild as the weather has been and if I wait it will get too hot here in Kansas before the peas really have a chance to produce.

I used to get all fired-up and itchy about getting the garden in early, but here in Nebraska most of those in the know wait until Mother's Day. That is the line for no more chance of "a frost"! :rotf: __ Been a mild winter and last week we had a temperature of 76 degrees one day and 19 degrees and snow the following day. Aaaaah! Good 'ol Nebraska weather! :youcrazy:

Rick

Kind of funny!.......
Always planted on mothers day too.....But warmer temps make we want to plant earlier......but in reality I end up planting later or I end up re-seeding..... :youcrazy:

Rick, the Mothers Day date is a good rule of thumb here too for planting the warm weather crops -- tomatoes, corn, beans, squash.
I normally do not mess with starting seed indoors, but if I want to grow decent bottle gourds and sweet potatoes here, I am going to have to try it.

I planted sweet potatoes last year....They turned out pretty good... I started the slips in early February in the house...By the time I planted them in May I thought maybe I should have started them earlier......They grow very slowly....

Just cut up a store bought tater....cut in half and suspended the cut end in a cup of water using toothpicks....At planting time I separated the slips from the tater and individually planted them.

It may have been an organic tater....I can't remember....

My yard's too shady for a garden. Even if it weren't, I wouldn't have one. Too much work for this old man.

My sister has a wonderful garden every year, and I mean like a prize garden. She works too hard on it in hot weather. Everything you can think of, spring planting until collards late on.

Saw a knee replacement surgery movie on TV and was amazed at the fixtures used. So after my wife had her first knee done, I asked the surgeon how he would ensure that the 2nd knee surgery would produce a leg length comparable to the other leg.

He explained that after the 2 appliances are installed that compose the joint, plastic "shims" of various thicknesses that replaces the cartilage are inserted until the correct one is found....the ligaments on both sides of the knee joint don't stretch and determine the thickness of the "shim".

My grandmother told my Dad when he was young that he wouldn't be a farmer...."you're bent the wrong way" and she was correct. I'm also bent the wrong way and although I have plenty of land for a garden, never even thought of having one. But do envy people who can raise veggies in their garden even though it's a lot of work.

We have some generous neighbors who supply us w/ their surplus veggies and of course we do pay for them. Nothing like fresh produce.....Fred

got a few things sown...very much a beginner, in small 'garden' of gravel, with not much light...

I'll get something to grow dammit!

The wife's grandmother loved her garden so much that she would take naps in the garden. When she passed she was found laying on her back with her hands crossed over her stomach, between rows of ripening peas, her favorite vegetable.

When I was a real youngeter, my grandfather put up a huge (for us at the time) pole bean tipi. It was amazing how many 4, 5 and 6 year old cousins could fit in there. My sister fell asleep in there once.

I grow things that I don't wish to pay for. Tomatos I can buy at 4 different farm stands within 5 miles of home. zuccini as well. Folks get crazy prices for some other stuff and I will raise winter squash, pak choy, basil, and cherry tomatoes for salads, I don't bother with sweet corn when I can get it $2.00 a dozen. We do have a huge berry patch. Put about 10 gallons of blueberries away every summer.

Funny what makes us happy in the garden. I love my home grown tomatoes and lemon cukes. Also always plant a hill of zucchini that invariably grow much too large and are picked and carefully thrown away.

:rotf:

Latest posts

Back