• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish 9m/m shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>36 RB would be close to 9mm I think?? divide the weight (grains) of a 9mm rb into 7000grns, that'll give you gauge,methinks..

Thanks Claude and Brit, at this caliber the guage is really academic :shocked2: . I have a repro Colt's brass revolver mold in .31 cal for ball and bullet I'll try :) . For shot loads, we'll see. Bound to be fun. :thumbsup: Treestalker

At .354, it is an 105.26 gauge. :haha:

Have to wonder if the old way of measuring was with or without the patch. Maybe they were not inclined to split the hair the way we do nowadays.

treestalker said:
Thanks Claude and Brit, at this caliber the guage is really academic :shocked2: . I have a repro Colt's brass revolver mold in .31 cal for ball and bullet I'll try :) . For shot loads, we'll see. Bound to be fun. :thumbsup: Treestalker

Am thinking 1/2oz of #8 or #9 shot....maybe!

Small smooth bores are a blast to shoot. I have had a number of 9mm/.360/ 100 gage guns.
Cartridge and muzzleloading, fun little guns.

I use from #12 to #6 shot sizes. 20 gr. of black. 120 gr of shot (#10) by volume.
Approximately .025" thick over shot cards, two over the powder one over the shot.
I like # 10 shot for most of what I shoot. Works the best for me.
A very nice small game gun, dove, pigeon and the like.

Midway has shot in 10# bags, lasts a long time.

Have you checked the size of the bore? Some of the ones I have had had tapered bores some had chokes, some cylinder bore.
If I were to guess yours is percussion ? tell us more about your gun, pictures?

William Alexander

Thanks everyone for your advice. The Spanish percussion 9mm smoothbore I recieved in a trade has a bulged chamber! I discovered this by using a tight patch! I will not fire it as is. I have cut off the breech and will rebreech it. Unfortunately, the barrel is tapered, so I'll have to restock it. It is one of those really cheap "kentucky rifle" fullstock guns from years ago. I can see rebuilding it as a small halfstock shotgun. Onward through the fog! Treestalker.

treestalker said:
... Unfortunately, the barrel is tapered, so I'll have to restock it. ...
How about lining the barrel channel with layers of paper, or maybe light card stock, to take up the difference?

Regards,
Joel

Joel, thanks for your response. The breech swell cracked (chipped)the wood in the stock, and it was a two piece cherry club to begin with. I'd rather salvage the lock and furniture into a halfstock, thereby avoiding several issues. The gun was a gift from a friend who had it sitting in his shop for years, :grin: so it's just a challenge to make something out of not much. I didn't discover the bulged barrel 'til later. I do want to get it shooting though, a 9mm shotgun intrigues me. In fact I'm toying with the idea of a long barreled pistol. Cheers, George B. :hatsoff:

“I use from #12 to #6 shot sizes. 20 gr. of black. 120 gr of shot (#10) by volume.”

After re-reading my post, I thought my 120 gr of shot might be confusing when I said by volume.

120 gr of shot is just under 3 tenths of an ounce of shot.

Treestalker
Why don’t you take the stock that you have and make it passable so you can see how much fun it can be?

Then go from there, not a lot of money that way.
Then if you want to replace the stock with something nicer you will know that you like it.

Rice makes .360/100 ga smooth bore barrels if you want to start from scratch.

William Alexander

William, that's good advice and I did consider that, but the stock does have problems listed above and I believe a nice walnut halfstock (I have a blank I cut from a tree beyond the creek back of our house) will do fine. The blank is kind of thin, so the thin barrel and lock setup should go together like peas and carrots! :grin: Thank you for your interest and reply. George B.

Back