• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Muzzle loader among the other types,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Many years ago I read in ‘ Muzzle Blasts’ or similar about a man who came along to a famed Open shotgun shoot in England and asked if he could compete using his m/l shotgun
Amid some amusement the Judges readily welcomed him to shoot.

To the amazement of the other shooters he won; then the bitching started, the complaint was that he was not using the regulation cartridges so should be disqualified.
The Judges, to their credit, declared that he was indeed the winner as everyone was aware that he was not using cartridges and that the time to object was before he shot.
One of the Judges remarked, [and this stuck in the memory] “The time to protest was when you were laughing.”

Perhaps someone else, who’s long enough in the tooth, also remembers.

Last edited:
Many years ago I read in ‘ Muzzle Blasts’ or similar about a man who came along to a famed Open shotgun shoot in England and asked if he could compete using his m/l shotgun
Amid some amusement the Judges readily welcomed him to shoot.

To the amazement of the other shooters he won; then the bitching started, the complaint was that he was not using the regulation cartridges so should be disqualified.
The Judges, to their credit, declared that he was indeed the winner as everyone was aware that he was not using cartridges and that the time to object was before he shot.
One of the Judges remarked, [and this stuck in the memory] the time to protest was when you were laughing.

Perhaps someone else, who’s long enough in the tooth, also remembers.
Most clay shoots and gun clubs in the UK, do not allow black powder on their grounds . it upsets fellow members , it slows down the line , and causes to much smoke especially on a wet day plus the noise. I have seen nitro clay shooters walk of the shooting ground if anyone uses black powder be it a muzzle loader or a black powder hammer gun .
Feltwad

Feltwad,
I can understand some people being averse to black powder however only a right nancy would walk off in a huff.
At our range I always tell the RO that I’m shooting black and he/she puts me on the down wind end of the line.
In rapid fire pistol I’m told that I’m a sight to behold.😀😀

There was a Barretts Shooting Club in Maryland years ago. I brought my Brown Bess to shoot the trap range. It was night so they were using stadium lights.
Out of about fifteen clays, I hit eight.
The funny part was when I began hearing cheering and applause behind me after each shot- in the night you could see the flashes so clearly- most probably like nothing they had seen before!
After my round I was asked not to return with the Bess. He said it was too slow to load and took too much time up for the thrower guy.
It was fun while it lasted!

Latest posts

Back