• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Overshot card versus over powder card

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was running the Bess (11ga / .75 cal smoothbore), I would go a thin card over the powder, wad, shot and then another thin card on top to keep everything in that long barrel. Probably wasn't the ideal stuffing for it, but it worked....looked decent in terms of spread, but that long barrel always threw a long pattern ;)

Maybe I am wrong, but I took the "nitro" term to refer to a wad for use with smokeless powder, as opposed to Black or subs.
Guys using BP have a whole different protocol, including lube, etc, we don't worry about with "nitro" (aka smokeless) powders.

Google V M Starr for good information on loading muzzle loading weapons with shot. Also, check out the Sky Chief loading recipe. I have a vintage William Moore 12 gauge double barrel with Damascus barrels and cylinder bores, and, I have done a lot of paper punching with this gun. The aim is to get the best well distributed shot patters with sufficient velocity to kill cleanly if you are hunting with your gun. Velocity with poor patterns is not good neither is good patterns with insufficient velocity. With all of the talk about wads and the like....even more important, perhaps, is the choice of what powder is best in your gun and the shot to powder ratio. I use 1Fg powder in my gun and more shot than powder by volume. I can tell you from experience that 5 grains of powder one way or another can make a big difference. Having said all of that, every gun is different and part of the fun of black powder is finding the sweet spot. Good and safe shooting and God Bless you abudantly!

I have both the thick and thing cards for my 12 gauge SxS. I stopped using the thick cards as the thing cards are easier to put an edge nick into so the air escapes better when pushing them down.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I have both the thick and thing cards for my 12 gauge SxS. I stopped using the thick cards as the thing cards are easier to put an edge nick into so the air escapes better when pushing them down.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I agree that thin cards seat easier...
And, I'd you build the whole load at the muzzle,,, you don't need to nic the edges.

When shooting a 20 guage smoothbore long gun, I see all kinds of loading methods and ask: Really what difference does it make if you use a overpowder card for over shot? I have witnessed the reverse, but a thin overshot card to me is not going to seal the gases as well when placed over powder. My smoothie build should be ready come Spring. Any good thoughts on wad usage in a smoothie would be appreciated.
I know....... try what works and I will do that, just want to hear from those who have been there
Thanks
Larry
I load powder, overshot wad, 3/8” lubed felt wad, shot, overshot wad, and get good results.

Back