• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Soap and water vs Solvent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Sullivan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've come full circle :surrender: Soap and water is the beauty way to go. I'll admit that it's easiest and fastest way to clean blackpowder firearms. There....I said it.

Just have to be carefull not to get any soap onto your hands or cloths :haha:

Absolutely right! I've used only water and a little Simple Green for decades. (The Simple Green probably isn't needed.) No rust on any of my BP guns. Cheap and effective. Hurrah!

Jeff

Back when I first started shooting black powder guns I tried alot of the different solvents that were on the market. What I found out was that none of them worked any better, and they all cost alot more than plain old soap and water.

Soap and water for me

IMO, the soap is only useful if the gun was fired with greased or oily patches.

These leave traces of their oil on the fouling that can reduce the ability of the water to dissolve the fouling. The soap cuts thru these oils and greases so the fouling is washed away.

If the gun was shot only with spit patches, plain water would clean the fouling up just fine.

It would be a safe bet that quite a large number of us have done the full circle :thumbsup:

Now the guys who insist on playing with Blackhorn 209 powder have to use a special solvent. since I hate that powder and the expense, I just use soap and water most of the time. It's fast and cheap.

White Rabbit said:
I've come full circle :surrender: Soap and water is the beauty way to go. I'll admit that it's easiest and fastest way to clean blackpowder firearms. There....I said it.

No, no, no. Yer supposed to do it just like the real Mountain Men did. A mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Hoppe's, Ballistol, WD-40 and anything else that comes in a plastic bottle from Wal-Mart. :rotf:

Rifleman1776 said:
White Rabbit said:

No, no, no. Yer supposed to do it just like the real Mountain Men did. A mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Hoppe's, Ballistol, WD-40 and anything else that comes in a plastic bottle from Wal-Mart. :rotf:

They didn't have Walmarts back in those days. The real mountain men had to go to K-mart, silly. Bill

Back