• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Balls In A Big Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried developing a sabot or something to shoot a single small caliber ball in a shotgun? Say a .50 cal ball in a 12 guage? Would any semblance of accuracy be possible? Thanks

There are plastic sabots available for smaller-than-caliber projectiles, but they're usually .454 projectile in a sabot for .50 cal.; i.e. one size "down."

I haven't heard of any for the amount of difference you're considering. .720 to .490 is kinda a lot!

That said, an enterprising fellow might be able to make something out of nested shotgun wads and or sabots... Though I would SERIOUSLY ponder the What Could Go Wrongs before trying it out. And a Lead Sled and length of string isn't a bad idea sometimes.

Accuracy? Hmm... mebbe not so much. But making smoke and loud noises is fun.

Let us know how your experiments turn out! :)

Gentlemen, please adhere to the established rules for this forum. Namely, rule #9, regarding discussing Sabots, et al.
The exception is using plastic wads and steel shot, as in Waterfowl hunting, etc.

I'm forced to close this thread.

Screenshot_20221115-130940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back