• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief Load field test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerWYO

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got back from a 5 week field test of the Skychief load on Sharptail and Huns. I was shooting a Pedersoli 12g with 1oz of 7s and 70gr FF Goex. I couldnt be more pleased with this upside down load. It actually improved my average over a cartridge gun, at one point I was 14 for 13 and out of the 50+ birds I shot I only had 2 cripples that the dogs had to run down.
Thanks Skychief
PS I'm not bragin on my shooting because I felt my shooting this trip way better than normal even with the magic load.

Excellent. It seems our inquisitive young friend has really come up with something worthwhile.

Spence

Great to hear of your success with the load Roger :thumbsup:

A five week field trial :hmm: ....You really put the load to the test. Sounds like you had a great trip!

It's very thoughtful of you to post this thread, hopefully more will try it and find great results too.

Good hunting to you, Skychief :hatsoff:

colorado clyde said:
What was that load again?.....2 hard cards on top?

Powder
Hard card
Shot
Thin card (optional :haha: )
HEAVILY lubed cushion wad

For lubing the cushion wads, I've had success with olive oil, lard/beeswax, even ballistol. Just so long as it's heavy with lube seems key.

Best regards, Skychief

Edited to add that I've found two hard cards on top of the shotload to tighten patterns also, but, the above is the true Skychief Special! :thumbsup:

Flies tight and hits hard.

did I understand correctly the last thing you put down the barrel is the lubed cushion wad?

Heavy cushion wad over the shot is the secret. Look up Skychiefs original post. good stuff.

This load fascinates me, though I haven't taken time to test it in my own guns. Just not "shotgun season" for me yet.

But for years we've heard horror stories about how cushion wads blow patterns. I have been dumbfounded by that, because I've used cushion wads for going on 40 years and never seen it.

BUT!!!!!!

There's a difference in the way I load and most of the guys reporting problems. I use lower charges of slower powders, and I never stuff big handsfull of shot down the bore. If I want more shot, I reach for a bigger bore. The old English (?) thing of "squared" loads, with the shot column no longer than bore diameter really works for me in producing nice, smooth patterns.

I drag all that up again because if I recall Sky's load correctly, he's not getting all geed up with large powder and shot charges either.

Food for thought and lots more testing. It will be interesting to see if someone regularly shooting large loads tries them with the fiber wad out front. Will they experience the same "doughnut" patterns? Someone else will have to do it though, cuzz I'm not inclined to large loads.

Hey BrownBear. :hatsoff:

I've used the load with what most would deem moderate and heavy loads.

In each case, the load produced denser patterns as compared to more conventional loadings.

Specifically, in my 20 gauge, I've had great results with as much as 1 5/8- 1 7/8 ounce shotloads.

When using more moderate loads of 1 ounce of shot, the patterns are again, denser than conventional loads using the same weight of shot.

Best regards, Skychief

Skychief said:
Specifically, in my 20 gauge, I've had great results with as much as 1 5/8- 1 7/8 ounce shotloads.

Holycrap! That's a heavier load than I shoot in my 10 gauge! You win in the heavy load department, hands down. :grin:

What kinds of powder charges are you using?

Your heavy loads nicely test my assumptions, without me having to fire a shot. Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

Back